1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Notice: AVForums will be offline at 10pm for no longer than 30 minutes for scheduled maintenance. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes.
    Dismiss Notice

Best DLP for viewing PC feed Nebula Tv etc

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Molly, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Molly

Molly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What experiences have people had with a HTPC and DLP tv's.

I would like to use a HTPC with Nebula Tv and Theatertek. What output have people tried, VGA, DVI etc.

What is 1:1 pixel matching? Will all DLP's achieve this? What is overscan etc? Do sets have to accept certain Hz settings at different resolutions? I will play mainly ripped Pal dvd's so does it need to accept 50Hz for the best picture? Do they achieve this across all connections?

Does one set outperform all others with a Pc connected?

Thanks

2. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would sugest u check out the TOSHIBA 42WM48P i have read posts from owners with HTPCs it has a DVI not sure if its HDCP complient for the sky HD in 2006
    Also i would have a look at the new Sagem Axium 45" it has a HD2+ chip & sounds promising not available yet but expected next week at audiovision

The set i have is the Optoma RD50 looks the same as the Sagem Axium 50 in Comet but is a newer model & has the HD2+ chip & has a DVI input that is HDCP complient.
    There is a problem with the RD50 it won't playback region 1 DVDs on most DVD players(the pioneer 575 or was it 565? has been reported as being ok.)
    Optoma has stated that it is not compatable with region one (NTSC)dvds because the picture has been optimised for Pal.
    I have tried 2 PCs on it & it works fine with R1 dvds however a PC can have diferent graphic cards motherboards ect so region one playback can't be assumed for every PC out there.
    My sons PC was a 2.8 ghz Athlon & nForce 2 motherboard & a Radeon 9800pro graphics card playing DVDs the picture was good + a lot better than my old DVD player the cpu performance was 2 to 13% using Windvd6
    My PC is a Athlon 3.5ghz 64 nForce 3 motherboard with a radeon X800pro graphics card playing DVDs with Windvd6 & PowerDVD6 region 1 & 2 playback was stunning with the best DVDs LOTR & gladiator at 2 :35 aspect ratio (black borders top & bottom) DvDs R1 with a 1:85 (16:9) aspect ratio are not as good they are watchable but poor quality for DVD i only have six of these i do not how Region 2 1:85 perform apart from a backup of Mona Lisa that i watched the picture was -good
    I watched Kill Bill 2 (2:35)tonight which is a backup made with CloneDVD at the highest quality ( all trailers removed ect) on my old TV i could never tell my backups from the original. For some reason the black & white at the begining showed the most compression not what i'd expect when the film changed to colour it was better, out door scenes were good but when the fight scene was on in the trailer the close up of Uma Thurmans face was stunning, if u have made good quality DVD backups u should be very happy.Don't know much about the DivX side but have watched some great looking DivX hi def trailers.I tried the TheaterTek player on its own & with FfDshow i had a better picture with WinDVD6 or PowerDVD6 & ffdshow uses a lotof processor power.
    The only resolution i had to select was 1280 by 720 at 60 hertz there is some overscan on the DVI input on the sides on my windows desktop the taskbar (windowsXP Pro) just shows the whole of the flag by start & the last digit on the clock only shows two thirds.there doesnt seem to be any overscan top & bottom.I don't think there is any way to correct it using DVI the VGA can be adjusted to fit but the quality is not as good & it doesn't bother me personally.
    I would sugest looking at the Tosh, Sagem Axium 45 & the Optima RD 50 the only place i know that sells all three is Audiovision where i got my set from
    http://www.audiovisiononline.co.uk/ look under vision
    46 Market Square, St.Neots, Cambridgeshire, PE19 2AF.
    Tel : 01480 471202, sales@audiovisiononline.co.uk[/email
    I am thinking of returning my set because of the R1 playback i cannot aford a
    HTPC at the moment & we have about 120 R1 DVDs my wife has threatened divorce if i don't get my Tower Pc sixfans out of the living room (modern women are so unreasonable i can remember my Dad stripping down his motorbike in the living room) if i do return my set i will demo the DLPs above but i would'nt be surprised if the RD50 turned out to have the best picture quality & i repurchase it.

3. Molly

Molly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the reply (I've was away on holiday all last week).

All my dvd's are ripped to a main server in the utility room and feed HTPC in the living room etc. I'm still waiting to buy a DLP Tv, no bigger than 46" without speakers on the side. I currently looking at the new Sagem 45" and the Samsung 46".

Any users tried Nebula Tv from a HTPC. This would be the main viewing source so quality of PQ is important.

Thanks

4. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Molly check out my screengrabs from a backup DVD on the Optoma RD50
    thread show us yours Uma Thurman Kill Bill was a backup DVD
    It is 50" though i'd check out the new Sagem if i were you should get a similar picture.