Best DJ / Pro Sounding Power Amp for Home Cinema DIY Passive Sub?

hoppaz

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have deliberately added meta keywords in the thread title in the hope that it catches in the search terms that pro / dj's may use. Basically to make use of avforums high ranking searches in search engines in order to get answers from those who have more expereince in these types of power amps.

I have been doing lots of research in to power amps and have discounted inuke amps for reasons already stated on these forums. I had my heart set on behringer EP amps but having done some research on pro / dj forums these amps don't seem to produce the best bass response in more experienced users eyes.

I have found threads today that state that Ecler and other manufacturers are better sounding in the bass area producing bass albeit higher up in the FR range than Beheringer.

Now I would like to get some imput from pro/dj amp users who can maybe help out those who are just setting out in the DIY home cinema path?

Many thanks in advance

When I decided to go diy I spoke to a mate of mine regarding the behringer gear, he sells pro audio gear for a living. He said most people in the pro audio game won't have a many good things to say about Behringer amps.
They apparently exagerate the output figures and the dealer has to pick up the warranty which they obviously don't like. He advised me to go for something else, he gave me a few to look at but I can only remember Crown. I do remember looking at some of them and they were way more expensive than the behringer.

I remember reading something about Crown saying they only went down to 20hz and that was no good for home cinema.

You have probably researched more than I did but the EP range are very popular and look to be doing ok for diy subs.

If you give me a budget I can give him a ring and see what he recommends.

Last edited:
Let's say a budget of 300 quid.

I would need 2 x 500w at 4 ohms. I would also be open to second hand options if he could recommend any?

Sourced an amp its a Samson SX 2400 class h design which outputs 750w at 4 ohms. I guess I will have to set the gain lower for my 500w sub but I will have more options should I upgrade in the future.

I called Pete earlier and left a message still waiting for a reply but will ask him what he kows about samson.

Would appreciate his thoughts. Very close designs to some QSC amps which seem well respected

I have read in some places that they exaggerate their figures.

I do recall reading that you can only draw 2700w from a 240v 13 amp power supply. I am not sure how that translates in ohms law though

I tried Pete again but still goes to voicemail.
I was thinking about getting a receiver with xt32 but might sell the ep and look at something else for the sub.
That t.amp looks interesting.

I will ask about the 2700 watts.

I went to a pro music shop in Leeds the other week to try and get a soundcard for use rew. The guy I spoke to was amazed and very interested that I was using an 18" sub in the house and told me to call in anytime as they employ a man who used to design speakers for Fane. Unfortunately he was out at the time but I might just go again when I have some spare time and see what he has to say.

Last edited:
I would think you should be able draw more than 2700 watts, you can get fan heaters at 3kw, they do melt the plugs though if you put more than one in the same extension reel

Pete has just called.
You were right about the 2700 watts.

Regarding the amp he said the QSC are top amps but the samson and behringer and other budget amps are much the same but he deals more with live venues so are more concerned with reliability. He said at the end of the day at the budget end of the market if you find an amp that will give the power needed and give the fr then go for that, it's in a home environment so won't be subject to being thrown about in the back of a van etc,
He also said Behringer sell a lot more amps so are going to flag up more problems. He started getting into tech talk and lost me but that's basically it. Unless you spend big bucks then take your pick. Sorry probably not much help.

He actually mentioned the guy who used to design for Fane and said I should go speak with him.

Do you know where Matrix are made, Pete mentioned a firm in Lancashire that make good amps but I didn't catch what he said

m4ccam said:
Do you know where Matrix are made, Pete mentioned a firm in Lancashire that make good amps but I didn't catch what he said

Not sure all I found on google was that they went out of business in the UK for a number of years and have then come back recently.

I think I'll go see the man from Fane next week. I am sure I can get more out of this / these subs. I feel it's being held back maybe the room maybe the EP.
Pete said to tell him I knew him snd he should give a good deal if I buy from them.

m4ccam said:
I think I'll go see the man from Fane next week. I am sure I can get more out of this / these subs. I feel it's being held back maybe the room maybe the EP.
Pete said to tell him I knew him snd he should give a good deal if I buy from them.

Well they say to look at amps 1.5 to 2x the stated power. You could try the ep bridged on one speaker and see if it makes a difference but obviously not full gain and at reference level.

Anyway the Samson sale seems to have fallen through due to them listing the wrong model on fleabay but class d and h seems the best way for subs.

Have a look at the peavey pv1500 amp , nice solid construction with a large transformer and 5 yrs wrnty , they get good reviews.
I got a secondhand one for around a £100 , been using it bridged for my buttkicker with no problems :smashin:

Well they say to look at amps 1.5 to 2x the stated power. You could try the ep bridged on one speaker and see if it makes a difference but obviously not full gain and at reference level.

Anyway the Samson sale seems to have fallen through due to them listing the wrong model on fleabay but class d and h seems the best way for subs.

Pete actually suggested with the amount of power the q18 will take it would probably be better using separate lower powered amps in bridged mode, one amp per driver to get around 2 - 2500 watts each. That obviously pushes the cost up quite a bit.

Chris! How are you getting on with your pair and what are you using to power them with.

Pete actually suggested with the amount of power the q18 will take it would probably be better using separate lower powered amps in bridged mode, one amp per driver to get around 2 - 2500 watts each. That obviously pushes the cost up quite a bit.

Chris! How are you getting on with your pair and what are you using to power them with.

Hi
I am happy with my 18s , i did buy a mini dsp and just when i figured it out i got sent to scotland to work so the tweaking has ended for now , but i think there comes atime when you should just sit back and enjoy what you have and stop playing lol.
Im powering mine with a peavey pv 2600 .

I think you're probably right Chris.

Have a look at the peavey pv1500 amp , nice solid construction with a large transformer and 5 yrs wrnty , they get good reviews.
I got a secondhand one for around a £100 , been using it bridged for my buttkicker with no problems :smashin:

Actually, the more I look in to the amplifier side of things the more I am looking at running two bridged separate amps for each driver. I would have to look into second hand though if I go down this route.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom