1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Distance Between Fronts and Screen

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by nheather, May 1, 2005.

1. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,561
    I'm planning a wall mounted panel and for the centres and fronts I'm thinking of using three wall mounted Canton CD50s.

Is there a 'rule of thumb' on how far the front speakers should be away from the screen for the best 5.1 effect. The reason I ask is that I've seen plenty of pictures where the front wall-mounts have been pretty close to the screen (say 30cm or less).

Having the speakers close will be (in my opinion) aesthetically better but I was wondering about sound seperation.

Also, for the centre, is it better to have it above or below the screen.

Finally, I would also consider the CD100s for the fronts, but have discounted this because they would be lower than the centre (the panel is going above a fire so will be quite high). I assuming that the fronts and centre should be at more or less the same level - is this a correct assumption.

Cheers,

Nigel

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    There's no general rule so you'd be best to think about aesthetics and what you're actually trying to achieve yourself. The Dolby website has some fairly in-depth on speaker placement that should be worth a read, I'm sure that DTS and THX also have information available.

Personally, I would put the centre beneath the screen. To locate my main speakers it would be better to relate it to your seating position rather than the distance from your display. :)

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,596
    nheather

Too many folk make the mistake of setting loudspeakers in arbitrary or 'where they look best' positions.

Use your ears not your eyes to set out your loudspeakers.

If possible get your kit into your room wired up and working and have a play with positioning - as eviljohn2 points out your listening position is your start position for how you set your speakers out.

Height wise try and set the front Left, Centre and Right speakers so that the HF units are all aligned 'horizontally' and in line with your ears when seated in your favoured seat.

Best regards

Joe

4. Grand Dizzy

Grand Dizzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was always taught it was 1.5 metres either side of your screen. But thinking about it, that's silly because screens are different sizes!

5. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    I always thought that the speakers should set apart as close as you can get them to the equivalent distance of your listening position so that you form a triangle - if that makes sense. Not that this is practical in most UK homes.

Pete.

6. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I have roughly that arrangement Pete (actually, just measured it and by chance I have an equliateral triangle like you describe with side length 1.6m) and it provides plenty of separation from the stereo pair with plenty of space for the centre between them sat on a 24" CRT. I've previously had to have the centre sandwiched directly between the stereo pair in a corner and it was rubbish.

I think I would prefer to be sat slightly further away and go for something like a 2:3 ratio isosceles triangle with the short side between the speakers but unfortunately my bed's in the way. Moral of the story? No easy answer unless you have a dedicated room. :)

7. Grand Dizzy

Grand Dizzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My trouble is I have my TV in the corner of the room next to the fireplace. So when I buy my new speakers I won't have any room to fit them in (unless I sit one of the speakers right infront of the fireplace!)

Guess I'll have to relocate my TV or something :(

8. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Grand Dizzy, a corner placement isn't too disastrous as long as you implement it correctly. I don't think there would be any need for you to have a centre speaker as by virtue of placement both of your main speakers will be very close together. You can then either pocket the cash or spend the money elsewhere. :clap:

Half the fun of HC is trying to integrate it into the room as there's almost always a better location somewhere that just isn't feasible to use. :)

9. Grand Dizzy

Grand Dizzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks eviljohn!

I do really want a centre speaker though. I want dialogue to come from the direction of the screen, not from the sides!

10. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I don't think you would notice this effect. What would normally go through the centre speaker is directed as a common signal through the left and right, and your perception of where the sound is coming from will be the centre.

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,596
    Grand Dizzy

You could consider the unconventional and go with a Yamaha YSP-1 Digital Sound Projector plus a decent sub; the YSP-1 even has a corner room setting..

As Harry T2 suggests a front Left and Right only - works very well in many situations. Ensure the partnering AV Receiver has the ability to set the Centre channel to 'Off' and will mix the Centre signal into the L+R outputs.

I often run my system in 4:1, 2:1 or 2:0 mode and its really not a problem - though your choice of L+R speakers can be important.

Best regards

Joe

12. Grand Dizzy

Grand Dizzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Interesting. I'll think about this. My instincts say that you should be able to tell the difference between a sound coming from directly in front of you, and a mono sound from two speakers either side. Ears are very clever things!

Still, I'll consider it.

13. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,596
    Hello Grand Dizzy

I take it you've never listened to a Stereo system :)

HiFi's have been able to 'fill the hole' between the loudspeakers for years and place Voices and Instruments within the 'sound stage' to recreate the space, placement and ambience of the recording studio or hall.

I'd far rather listen to a decent Front L+R speaker pair with 'mixed' or 'phantom' centre channel over a L, C + R set-up with lower spec speakers and not enough room to fit them just to ensure I had the 'correct' number of cabinets.

Best regards

Joe

14. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I was thinking the`same' thing, Joe :D