1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best display device for D-VHS deck?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by dr_mabuse, Feb 1, 2004.

1. dr_mabuse

dr_mabuse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hi
    I am interested in importing a D-VHS deck, but was wondering what is the correct display device to make use of the 1080 res titles that are available. I am also wondering if this format is destined to die out in short order once Blu-Ray or whatever it's going to be called comes in.

So, here goes:

1. CRT is pointless as a display device for D-VHS - correct? Are there any CRT's that can accept and display 1080 titles?

2. Plasma screens - I'd need to make sure that the set is "HD Ready" in terms of it's capable resolutions? What other considerations with regard to plasma?

3. Do the US D-VHS decks have different connections and will I struggle to get the cables I need?

4. What about mains supply? Will I need a step-down transformer?

5. (finally) Is the JVC model the only one worth importing - and how would I go about it?

Sorry to be a typical newbie, but info seems scarce on these decks seeing as they're not designed for Europe.

Thanks in advance

dr_m

2. acave

acave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    1. CRT is pointless as a display device for D-VHS - correct? Are there any CRT's that can accept and display 1080 titles?

I have a Barco 808s CRT and the picture produced by D-VHS
    is stunning. The JVC demo tape I have is amazing quality. Much like looking through a window.

I've not seen DLP with D-VHS. I dknow that DLP will add artifacts to the picture.

2. Plasma screens - I'd need to make sure that the set is "HD Ready" in terms of it's capable resolutions? What other considerations with regard to plasma?

To be honest, a 42" screen is not big enough to see the beauty of a D-VHS picture.

3. Do the US D-VHS decks have different connections and will I struggle to get the cables I need?

Component connection are used from the D-VHS deck to ouput the HD signal.

4. What about mains supply? Will I need a step-down transformer?

Yep.

5. (finally) Is the JVC model the only one worth importing - and how would I go about it?

As far as I'm aware only JVC make the D-VHS model which support D-VHS theatre for the pre-recorded tapes.

B&H Photo in NY are a good company to deal with if you are thinking of importing.

http://www.bhphoto.com

For UK purchases try

http://www.crtprojectors.co.uk

3. dr_mabuse

dr_mabuse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    acave

Hmmm. I don't have the space or resources to go beyond 42" to be quite honest, and I don't like RP / Projection sets, so I am certainly leaning towards Plasma.

I'll follow up on those links - thanks!

dr_m

4. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    JVC's HV-28P37, HV-3232P37, HV-36P38 & HV-36D25 can all accept 1080i via component inputs, so no, CRT isn't pointless as a display device - in fact it's the most cost effective, since even the 36" models cost less than capable plasma's

5. dr_mabuse

dr_mabuse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    cerebros

Interesting. Do you have one of these models to comment on? Is it relevant whether the source feed is NTSC or PAL to the set's level of compatability?

Searching around on here it seems the 36D25 is somewhat flawed - but then every single set over 32" seems to be berated by unhappy owners so I guess it's pays your money, takes your choice!!

Any owners of any of these sets out there available to comment on their performance?

dr_m

6. dr_mabuse

dr_mabuse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Update
    On another thread on this forum it is noted that these models are NOT compatible to US spec 1080 - is this so?

Anyone?

dr_m

7. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I have to disagree with you here and im sure many many other members will too (especially the ones who attended the Event II last year. HD on a DLP looks absolutey stunning, truely amazing on the Immersive Virtuoso and Barco 3 chip DLP. Not an artifact in sight. Pull your CRT head out of the clouds man ;)

CH

8. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    In the thread I've been reading & contributing to in the lead up to me buying a HV-32P37 it's been established that the JVC's do do 1080i at both 50 & 60Hz - most of the problems have not been with off the shelf Hi-Def sources (such as "standard" D-Theatre D-VHS deck), but with trying to get output from PC graphics cards, via transcoders or converters, to the TV in 1080i form.

9. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    If I remember correctly the Virtuoso stuttered badly.

10. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HD material really interests me but I'm not certain whether my AE100 really would suffice as a medium to display it? At some point I will be upgrading, but the temptation to see/hear it now is quite a draw. I wouldn't want to go via the HD tape route if that becomes obsolete in 12 months (and also if I wouldn't see the full benefit of the material on my AE100 as an upgrade probably won't be on the cards for while yet)

What is the likely release date for Blu-Ray material - rumours of early 2005 are bounded around but I've heard very little.

11. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    The Virtuoso stuttered on video source clips at Event2. The tape used has stuttered on my Panasonic plasma also. It didn't on other devices at the Event so it is an intruiging issue but one not solely attributeable to that particular Virtuoso.

We stopped using HD on the Cineversum due to the issues it was having. They were due to it being a prototype though rather than any full on incompatability.

Regarding 1080i playback on direct view CRT devices. From my experience vewing HD on these in US at shows etc and being able to see test pattern as as well as material it seems there is a difference between being able to accept an incoming 1080i signal and actually being able to show all the information.

1080i requires very high spec electronics in a CRT in order to get the electron beam back to the start of each line in time to start drawing the next. This extremely short flyback time causes issues. As it's hard to do the common trick manufacturers use is to just miss out alot of the image. In other words they overscan massively. Geometrically they tend to not be that correct either.

I do not know whether the models mentioned suffer these problems but I'd want to check before shelling out. DLP, LCD, good FP crt and plasma are unlikely to have any of those issues.

Gordon

12. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Oh ****e, perhaps I was looking at the wrong pj!!!! :blush:

Well either way there was some very special showings of HD on DLP's.

CH

13. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi Def from a JVC 30000 looks stunning on the Domino 30, 300 Xtra and 300 Link.
    It don't look too shabby on the Domino 20 either.

The same goes for the broadcasts from Euro 1080

14. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    Cool- No it was stunning it's just on some material durng the day a judder would appear.
    Gordon

15. pj

pj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    trust me the AE100 produces HD beautifully! if u can hook it up to your pc and try some of the HD download links ( do a search of this site for some links) you will be sold! i have mine hooked up to the xbox too and it does 1080i no problem, if i had the money i would get a dvhs without hesitation!

16. dr_mabuse

dr_mabuse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Gordon - if I may ask:
    Would you happen to know then if the Panny 6 model Plasma would display the outpur from a JVC D-Theatre deck at the "correct" - by which I mean the intended - resolution? This looks to be about he best 42" model out there at the moment.

What resolutions should I look for in other Plasma specs to match up to the JVC deck?

Sorry to be a stereotypical newbie!

dr_m

17. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Doc,

As the 1080i signal is interlaced, it has been reported as been a good match for an ALIS plasma - which would just cut off a few lines at the top and bottom to match the 1024 screen resolution. However, 1080 line progressive plasmas are on the way, which hopefully should have good quality deinterlacers on board, instead of having to use something like an HD Leeza to produce a 1080p signal. Hope this helps.

Steve

18. Paulherb

Paulherb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,
    D-VHS player for sale in AV Hardware classified Adverts Forum.

Cheers

Paulh.