Quantcast

Best dish value for money and tasteful

I cook a variety of things, English, Westindian, Mexican, Asian, Italian, Thai etc. But after I found consistency with my preferred bolognaise receipe, I have to give this award to the Italians. Even if youre using cheap tomatoes you can make this soooo tasty. I never get tired of it.

Last edited:

Chadford

Distinguished Member
I've been doing this recipe for about a year now...

...Excellent! highly recommended.

:clap:

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
I've been doing this recipe for about a year now...

...Excellent! highly recommended.

:clap:
Kinda takes away from the way “sh*t, what shall we have for dinner tonight” choices though. :D

BT Bob

I make (my own recipe) Bolognese regularly - usually a big batch and then freeze it. Like a lot of this kind of dish, (chilli, curry, etc) my perception is it improves with freezing/reheating.
You can also use the same sauce in a Lasagne, along with a cheese sauce.

If anyone's interested, my recipe (based on a 750g pack of steak mince - 5% fat):
2 small/medium red onions chopped finely (I think they're "sweeter" than an equivalent weight large onion)
4 large cloves of garlic - crushed/minced
Button mushrooms finely choped
Minced beef
2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
Tomato puree
2 beef stock cubes ( i prefer the Knorr Stock Pots)
Italian seasoning
Salt
Black pepper
Olive Oil
Red Wine

Sweat the onions and garlic on a pan in the oil over a low heat, while browning the mince in another pan.
Add the browned mince to the onion/garlic leaving any liquid that came out of the mince behind.
Add the mushrooms and mix all together, then season with the pepper.
Add the red wine (not essential, but does richen the sauce, IMO) and allow to bubble to get rid of the alcohol.
Add the stock cubes and allow to dissolve.
Add the tinned tomatoes using a drop of water to rinse the can and get all the juice out.
Add the tomato puree - for this quantity, I would add a whole tube, but you could use less if you didn't want the full "tomato-experience".
Then add some Italian Seasoning and mix in. Allow it all to come to a gentle simmer and taste - add salt if necessary, I often don't as I find the stock cubes suffice.
Then cover and let the whole lot simmer over a very low heat for as long as possible - ideally 2 hours min. stirring occasionally.

For a chilli, I make the same sauce but the last step is to add some mild chilli powder (I find this is more controllable than adding fresh chillis at the beginning). Then add some heated/drained black beans - I prefer these to red kidney beans.

I can share the receipe later. What about the question though anyone who cooks, is this dish the best value for money for taste, or are there other dishes which can be made cheaply which are still tastey?
For example, I ate a madras curry tonight which I started preparing yesterday. I made the curry base yesterday then also marinated the chicken overnight which I cooked in the oven this evening, finishing the curry by making the madras sauce then adding everything else to it. Its was very nice but the whole process would be more costly than the bolognaise, hence the question.

Last edited:

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Any pasta based dish will be cheap. Lasagne. Carbonara.
Pizza if you have a pizza oven.
Chilli con carne.
All tasty, all cheap.

Sonic67

Banned
My cheap and quick suggestion.

Get a bag of tortilla chips spread them out on a plate, take grated cheese throw it and spread it out over the top. Put that in the microwave to melt the cheese.

Cover that with a tin of preheated mexican beans. I tend to do those in a saucepan and then pour over sometimes with some Jalapenos added.

These are a few of the different types of beans I use.

1581454072591.png

1581454134894.png

aVdub

Distinguished Member
Noodles, soy, chilli's chopped veg and a wok.
Simple, quick and filling.

ps Don't care if there is a lack of protein in it ;)

IronGiant

I'm not quite sure how a chilli con carne can be low in protein, unless you're really stingy with the mince/stewing steak.

This is about taste/cost. Nothing to do with protein.

password1

food is fuel, good nutritional content, including protein, good fats and fibre, vitamins, minerals, etc.

the more grammes of protein per pound is better value. protein is for growth, repair and energy. id rather have food high in protein anyday.

IronGiant

food is fuel, good nutritional content, including protein, good fats and fibre, vitamins, minerals, etc.

the more grammes of protein per pound is better value. protein is for growth, repair and energy. id rather have food high in protein anyday.
You are no longer welcome in this thread.

I would in no way dispute what you are saying.

aVdub

Distinguished Member
Can anyone recommend some really good and tasty protein only food. Must be mostly protein OK ;)

JimmyMac

Distinguished Member
Pan of scouse!! (some may suggest its a varient of irish stew but its scouse and should only ever be called scouse!! We are rather protective of our dish up here :D )

Its a dish that was designed to be cheap and filling, during the wars people would make blind scouse which was the same dish without the meat and other vegetables to bulk it out. Recipes vary from person to person and most people have a recipe handed down to them through generations which is how I got mine :)

700G diced beef
2 Large onions or 4 Leeks
4 Carrots
500g mushrooms (or button mushrooms)
2kg potatoes (maris piper or king edwards work best but any white will generally do)
2 x beef oxo cubes
gravy browning
Salt

Pickled onions and pickled cabbage to serve

Take large pan, large you have, think casserole dish size or even bigger! Fill just under 3/4 with water and put on the hob to heat

Chop the onions/leeks, carrots and mushrooms and put all of it into the pan along with the diced beef. Add Oxo cube and a punch of salt, splash of gravy browning to make it a deep brown colour. Bring to the boil and allow it to simmer for about 4 hours at least, longer doesn't hurt at all!

Peel and dice the potatoes into about 1 inch cubes.

After the four hours add in all the potatoes, the pan should be practically full to the brim now, if not enough water add a little, if too much the drain a little off.

Add another punch of salt and the other oxo cube, simmer for about 1.5 hours.

By now the potatoes should have softened, the idea now is to stir and squash/break up the potatoes to allow it to thicken up the liquid. It should become pretty thick, not runny at all.

oh and plenty of protein due to the beef just in case thats something you are concerned about :D

Once done serve and put pickled onions and pickled cabbage on top!

Total cost to make a large pan is around a tenner, might not seem that cheap but I tend to get around 6-8 portions out of a pan so it does multiple meals. Freezes well and tastes even better when rewarmed than first time round

Last edited: