Best Disc

ADC

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Got my hd-dvd delivered from dixons yesterday and would like an opinion please.
Whats the best disc currently available to show off what this baby can do.
Got the free king kong disc but wont have time to watch it in all its 3 hour glory just yet. Are there any stand out chapters on this disc or are there better around. watched about 20 mins of it but it didn't knock me off my seat, though it maybe the way they intented it to look to capture the era.
Thoughts on the discs you currently own please folks or any that are due for imminent release.

Batman Begins and Training day are 2 which are said to have the best Transfer and Sound. Watched both and was impressed but didn't blow me away.

:eek: :eek: :eek: What :censored: player did you get, I'm a bit confused?

Sorry mate i thought the HD-DVD reference and the fact its in the xbox 360 HD DVD drive section may give it away:rolleyes:

Just kidding:smashin:

To clarify its the xbox 360 HD DVD drive i was referring to.

Some say Van Helsing is a good film to show of the HD Drive also

serenity is a fantastic transfer. picture is truly ace.

Cheers for that, I saw it in the New Topics and there wasn't any reference to x360......back to dreaming:D

Ive been very impressed with Superman, Batman and MI:3:thumbsup:

Batman Begins is really good, but for shear picture and sound quality nothing comes close to Corpse Bride (Its the film ive used to demo the player to friends and family).

out of the 7 I have I would have to say the best transfer for Picture Quality is

The Fast and The Furious. the DVD was great but the colours in this knock your socks off.

then I would say
Mission Impossible 3
Batman Begins
are also awesome for quality.

Phantom of the Opera has some jaw dropping scenes (the costumes are awesome - the colours are so vibrant)

Superman Returns and The Last Samurai are better than their DVD counterparts but not as obvious as the above (all in my humble opinion of course)

I've only watched MI:3 so far but the quality is pretty amazing.

The Fast & The Furious : Tokyo Drift !!

The pic is so sharp it'll cut your eyes !!

I also am not overly impressed with the drive but i do have a Panny SD panel :(

The best looking one i have found on my setup out of King Kong, Training Day, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Unforgiven, Batman Begins, Bourne Supremacy, Ray, Constantine and Seabiscuit is Seabiscuit. The colours are really vibrant and the picture constantly sharp. Of course its a great movie as well :thumbsup:

The Fast & The Furious : Tokyo Drift !!

The pic is so sharp it'll cut your eyes !!

yes, I've got this on order from movietyme, as the original (as I say above) was an amazing picture. these cars are amazing in HD
looking forward to it immensley :thumbsup:

Many people have said batman begins and i agree! its a dark film and it shows what can really be done with black and hd. sky's blacks look pixelated and graded but not in this film baby!

Its what i am going to use as a bench mark.

Troy was also good. very bright but not to many colours. and i am sure the ladys will love brad in HD :)

I have Batman Begins, Superman Returns, Harry Potter & The Goblet of Fire, King Kong and Serenity. Chronicle Of Riddick should arrive soon too.

Out of the ones I've seen (haven't checked out serenity yet), Superman Returns and Batman Begins have shined, followed very closely by Harry Potter. King Kong is also superb :) Erm, that's most of my discs then :).

Have a read here: http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/reviews.html

They have quite a few reviews there.

Thanks for the replys everyone.
Do any of the online rental sites currently rent out HD-DVDs. If so which ones are they. Had a quick look (and it was quick) last night but didn't see any.:smashin:

Thanks for the replys everyone.
Do any of the online rental sites currently rent out HD-DVDs. If so which ones are they. Had a quick look (and it was quick) last night but didn't see any.:smashin:

lovefilm (previously screenselect) rent out HD DVD's. Do a search for HD and it brings up all thier HD-DVD's. 20 odd off them i think.

V for Vendetta looks superb to me and its an excellent movie too.

lovefilm (previously screenselect) rent out HD DVD's. Do a search for HD and it brings up all thier HD-DVD's. 20 odd off them i think.

Used to be a member but gave it up. think i might have to jion again :)

If you're finding HD-DVD isn't 'knocking your socks of' then try a different cable. I went from VGA to component and it instantly looked much better. Might be the other way round for some, depends on the screen.

my pio doesnt have vga :suicide:

anyone got any info on hdmi for 360

No news on hdmi, its certainly a long running debate as well.

I use VGA and love it. Got my settings bang on and believe it matches the Component and it also upscales the SD-DVD's. The SD-DVD of LOST looked fantastic.

No news on hdmi, its certainly a long running debate as well.

I use VGA and love it. Got my settings bang on and believe it matches the Component and it also upscales the SD-DVD's. The SD-DVD of LOST looked fantastic.

Yeah I used VGA perfectly happily, though the dash didn't look quite right. When I got the HD-DVD drive it looked good, but nothing like the photos I'd seen. Now with component it's got that WOW factor, and even the stuff off marketplace looks noticably better.

Like I say, it depends on the screen though.

I have to agree that batman begins in great in HD, as mentioned the dark scenes of which there are plenty really show in great detail, the ninjas outfits show great detail,as does batmans costume.
I also have constantine, serenity, riddick, troy, mi3, pitch black, king kong, superman returns, sleepy hollow, and a few more to arrive,

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom