Best dirt-cheap Android 'phone?

dogfonos

Would appreciate suggestions for the best £50-ish Android 'phone for my particular useage.

Never had a smartphone before but think I need one now. I have little knowledge of the way these things work so trying to compile a list of required features is hit & miss. Feel free to question my requirements if they seem irrational.

I intend to use the 'phone mainly as a remote control for music and video streaming but also to set up various streaming devices, including Google Chromecast and Chromecast audio (seems that Android 6 OS is minimum for running current Google Home App. I'm sure there may be a few Google apps I may dabble with too. I will rarely make and receive calls or use it for texting. The 'phone will rarely leave home. In fact, I may not have a SIM installed most of the time. As I understand things, I can use the 'phones wifi to connect to the Internet rather than the 'phone system (whatever that might be called). I don't intend to take out a 'phone contract so, I guess, the 'phone needs to be 'unlocked'. The only other use I can think of will be to join a WhatsApp group. After joining WhatApp, can I receive and send WhatsApp messages via Wifi?

Don't need camera or GPS and I won't watch videos or view photos. Thanks.

Timalay

You might struggle to get anything new for under £50. Argos have a few Alcatel phones at £10 - £20 over your budget.

Saldawop

Distinguished Member
Don’t you need a telephone number for WhatsApp?

dogfonos

Don’t you need a telephone number for WhatsApp?

For the initial setup yes.

Installed WhatsApp on a Kindle fire(no SIM) and been using it for months.
That's as I understand it too. So I would use the new 'phone, fitted with SIM, to join WhatsApp then intend to run/use WhatsApp from my PC (from what I read, this is do-able) whilst removing the SIM and using the new 'phone as a remote control. Wouldn't rule out refitting the SIM occasionally, if necessary - I'll see how it goes.

Moto e20 £59(plus £10 payasyougo SIM)
The Moto e20 looks great value but I have to purchase air time as well. PAYG these days seem to commit the user to regular payments (even if it is only infrequent £10 top-ups). I need to investigate further to see if there's a bundle that doesn't demand a regular top-up. I would gladly accept a trade off of higher call/text/data charges.

Also, the O2 Moto e20 publishes specs for this 'phone which differ from other sellers and reviewers. Namely, O2 give the CPU as: MediaTek Helio G25, octo core, 2.0 GHz, whilst most (all?) others say it has the much less impressive UNISOC T606.

Timalay

That's as I understand it too. So I would use the new 'phone, fitted with SIM, to join WhatsApp then intend to run/use WhatsApp from my PC (from what I read, this is do-able) whilst removing the SIM and using the new 'phone as a remote control. Wouldn't rule out refitting the SIM occasionally, if necessary - I'll see how it goes.

The Moto e20 looks great value but I have to purchase air time as well. PAYG these days seem to commit the user to regular payments (even if it is only infrequent £10 top-ups). I need to investigate further to see if there's a bundle that doesn't demand a regular top-up. I would gladly accept a trade off of higher call/text/data charges.

Also, the O2 Moto e20 publishes specs for this 'phone which differ from other sellers and reviewers. Namely, O2 give the CPU as: MediaTek Helio G25, octo core, 2.0 GHz, whilst most (all?) others say it has the much less impressive UNISOC T606.

Motorola's UK site says it's Unisoc t606. Tbh at your budget, you are not going to get a great cpu.

Miss Mandy

If you don’t need the phone and will be taking the SIM card out why not look at a tablet instead?

dogfonos

If you don’t need the phone and will be taking the SIM card out why not look at a tablet instead?

I need to setup WhatsApp so, as I currently understand it (could be wrong) I need an Android or iOS device with a 'phone number. After setup, I should be able to use my Linux PC or Android tablet to send and receive WhatApp messages (if that's what they're called).

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom