1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Digital Coaxial Cable?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by kmhtkmhtkmht, Sep 8, 2005.

1. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking for the best Digital Coaxial Cable for connecting my HTPC for sound. Any ideas?

I had my eyes on the Ixos XHD608-100? What'cha think?

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Look at Mark Grant's cables in the Cable Powerbuy forum (just below this one). His cables are handmade using only top quality materials but his prices are relatively cheap as he doesn't have huge budgets for advertising and packaging that his customers have to pay for.

3. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +568
  4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    you do love your Chords don't you :)

5. deaf cat

deaf cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    You could actually try and listen to a few, I had a £20 coax, tried a £50 one believe it or not, it sounded better, so tried a £70 one and yippee! it sounded even better nice and easy to improve the sound I thought :smashin: .

However, I ended up with the Chord Signature Coax :eek: - just could not go back once I had listened to how much more open and detailed it was - so beware Don't listen to expensive ones if you did not budget for them........I tend to budget high now, and hence don't shop that often. :rolleyes:

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    and the one better again is the cheap on already rcommended at the top by Ian J!!

7. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    just use an audio phono cable, works just as well as anything else.

8. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's what I tried to do, just use the basic red or white one from the digital spdif to the tv's spdif in, doesn't work - why?!

9. BDCSTENG GARETH

BDCSTENG GARETH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Then there is something wrong somewhere...

What makes you think an expensive cable will be better?

How many cables have you tried?

Gareth.

10. HD3

HD3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are using a digital coaxial cable for digital sound YOU CANNOT get better sound with a better cable. Its digital for christ sake. As long as all the singal gets to where its going it will make no difference!!!!!!! digital signals CANNOT be interfered with like others.

Remember the 1s and 0s from the Digital TV adds, well see them going through your cable!!! They cannot be changed. (ok it may be possible for the singal to be interfered with if theres somevery heavy mains cable crossing the digital cable- UNLIKLEY)

Don't let the manuafactors sell you crap.

11. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    So can send evey 0 and 1 without error and then send LOADS of other rubbish down the cable as well and suddenly that makes no difference? I think it is likely which is why several of us recommend the best cables we have tested but you can afford these as they are also some of the best value. They do make a differnce but it is not expensive to get right. It can be expensive to get it wrong however.

12. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Digital Audio is very robust, if a retailer were to sell me a more expensive cable on the basis that it would produce a better sound, I am fairly confident they would be commiting an act of fraud, and could well be successfully prosecuted.

Please see http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?postid=1743236
    "So just to recap this thing to death, we had: The professional Sony S7000TP reference DVD player, going to a 20 year old, ugly green, RCA patch cord which was cut in two. On one side of the green RCA I soldered a blue painted wire hanger to the shield and another to the center conductor. I soldered the other ends of the wire hangers to the other half of the ugly green RCA patch cord. We then clipped the alligator clips with thin wire to the centers and shields of the RCA connectors of my cable and of the Canare cable, and then plugged the other XLR-balanced side of the Canare into the Dolby Labs decoder. I honestly did not know how badly we would be rolling errors on this one... and with open, scientific minds, we played a DVD... "

Obviously, this guy cheated. No rust on the wire! ;-)

"Are you all sitting down? Good. We played the King Crimson Deja VROOM DVD for over fifteen minutes with this configuration and not only did it sound good, but the Dolby Decoder reported ZERO errors... Did you all get that ok? ZERO, nadda, nihil, zippo, nothing, none... error-free. Given that, there was not much point in trying the higher quality cables I had brought with me."

"Conclusion: IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT YOU USE FOR YOUR DIGITAL CABLE CONNECTION BETWEEN YOUR DVD PLAYER AND YOUR PROCESSOR... YOU CAN BASICALLY USE ANYTHING THAT LOOKS ELECTRICALLY LIKE METAL. IT WILL WORK JUST FINE. (Between the coax connectors that is... I have not successfully used the wire hangers on the tos-link optical connectors... yet...) If you like you can hook the shield on one side to one of your Rodan bronze statues, and the other shield to somewhere else on the statue, and then hook the center conductors to another Rodan bronze, and it will work JUST FINE. The sonic clarity will be stunning, as well as visually pleasing."

13. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Digital audio is VERY robust, I can get all the 0s and 1s down a wet string accurately, do I need to run a power buy on wet string or should we leave that to ebay? I can assure people it doesn't sound too good though. It will convey all the information accurately though but that is NOT what matters here, all these devices do the 1 and 0s correctly, that is not in doubt, it how they deal with the other bits that matters. This isn't expensive but still needs to be done well.

14. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    ah the coat hanger quote slipped in later (link not working by the way), yes that also gets all the 0s and 1s transfered, it also causes more drop outs as well....I wonder why.....it also has no screening, which is fine in certain circumstances JUST...BUT.... SOMETIMES.....IF YOU ARE LUCKY....

I am glad you have tried all these, to be able to give such good advice to everyone. Coat hangers all round then, I feel a power buy coming on :)

15. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hello km,

Look in windows control panel.

Have a look at sound devices, also soundcard driver control panel and also whatever dvd playback software you are using.

If audio settings are set to use 'desktop speakers' for example, the spdif output might not be enabled.

Might even be something in the bios if you are using a built on the motherboard spdif output, but we dont know what you are using.

Also check if there any menus in the TV to enable digital audio in.

Get this working with whatever cable you have for a start, then see what you think to the quality.

A TV with built in digital input is only going to be using a fairly cheapish DA convertor, amp and speakers, so might not be worth using quality cable.

Its AV amplifiers/processors that most people notice the difference with a correctly terminated cable ( not expensive)

Mark.

16. HD3

HD3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can send 10's of errors down the line, if not more and you stilll would not notice a drop in quality.

17. BDCSTENG GARETH

BDCSTENG GARETH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Im confused... which side of the fence are you actually preaching from ?

What are you actually saying? I get from what you are actually saying, that all cables, and damp string (does this work? might try for a laugh at work next week ;) ) propigates the digital information CORRECTLY, but somehow the cables affect the sound by how the cables deal with the "other bits"...

What are you actually implying... that EMI & RFI alter the sound of a digital bitstream?

18. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I'm not preachng from any side, what I am trying to do is to educate people on what makes the differences some see.

There are many things that are important, EMF, RFI, screening, plugs, joints, CI......It is a matter of getting one to do what is necessary. Much of this has been written about before

19. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    are you sure...... why does one HD SDI cable work and the next one not then? This is what happened to me yesterday. Fully repeatable, both cables check out fine and work elsewhere.

20. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It was a delusion :D

21. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    must have been ;)

22. HD3

HD3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Something wrong with the cable?

I've never said it will work if there is something wrong with the cable or a connection!

23. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Nothing wrong with the cable that is why I said "Fully repeatable, both cables check out fine and work elsewhere."

I must be delusional ;). The cables were individually checked by me on oscillascope, cable tester and on a multi meter before going off for further analysis to a university.

But we know what the issue is and if you use the search engine or look at the stickies on this forum it is all explained there.

24. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
  25. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Thanks useful for the forum. By the way, I did this well before these guys did ;) and the wet string etc etc

26. BDCSTENG GARETH

BDCSTENG GARETH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    This must have been due to Catastrophic destruction of the digital signal.

Why are you comparing HD SDI & SPDIF? Thats just not the point of the discussion, and if you use HD SDI, you will know this.

You are comparing a 3Mbps signal, with a 1.5 Gbps signal!

In fact, you proving the rule for us who know, that a cable will either work, or not! :hiya:

If the cable was poor quality, and not up to the job, by rights, would your spanking HD picture be of poor quality? no? nothing at all..... I see a pattern! :rolleyes:

27. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I am not out to prove an argment one way or another, I am out to give people all the info they need to understand the subject so they can make their own infomed decision, knowing the science and engineering involved and having TRIED things in their situation.

A look at my set up will show very modest cables used with many of the exotics so favoured here available to use in the same room. I have no axe to grind other than the educational one here.

The HD SDI is actually used to pass non video picture but to transmit data using AV techniques / standards. We have learned to use existing technology and pushed that to it's limit. It allows us to find out why things work or not. That was work.

Most of the testing however is done at home and is one of my pet 'interests'. The cables are essentially the same for both. 3Ghz is common here so 3Mbps signal, or 1.5 Gbps is really nothing. The effects are the same, non of them should be taxing the system

28. BDCSTENG GARETH

BDCSTENG GARETH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    This still does not prove that a cable can alter the end of process, reconstructed sound/tone/"depth" etc.

29. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Most people who advise buying expensive digital cables fall into one of two catagories

1) Retailers (who make a huge markup on a product that costs almost nothing to produce).
    2) Those who have paid for the above expensive cables and who want to save face (or have managed to delude themselves into hearing a better sound)

There is big money to be made from cables.

30. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I was never asked to prove it, neither was it even part of the original question. I can however prove that the data transmitted is the same but different equipment sees it as different, interpreting it as different due to 'polution' on the cable itself. However if others want to be convinced of this they need to find it out for themselves. There is NO substitute for learning about the subject and finding out for yourselves. Many here have done that already, they might not agree on the answer but it is the right one for them and valid answer may differ. It is not black and white as some of you portray it. If you want proof that they do alter sound you need to go out to prove that they don't.