1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best digisender / receiver

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by marck, Oct 30, 2004.

1. marck

marck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,
    I want to be able to send the picture from my Sky+ box to an upstairs tv and was considering purchasing a digisender and receiver. What are peoples experience with them? It is only for an office and tv is 14inch Sony, so picture quality is not vitaly important.
    Which ones are best and where is cheapest place to get them from.
    Cheers
    Marck.

2. trainspotter

trainspotter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This is something that I will be looking into also. Argos has a few available, the advantage being that if the one you buy does not work with your set-up, you can return it for a full refund

3. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I got one from Argos. Was about £80 and had the IR transmitter too. Worked great, and the knowledge that you can take it back with no quibbles is great.

If you have a wireless network though, check everything all works. I stopped using mine (and got multiroom instead) because my new 54g wireless router caused problems with the video sender. Basically I could not find an appropriate channel on either wireless device (video has 4 channels, and the router has 10+) that didn't cause problems with the Sky picture, or the IR transmitter, or a 11b device, or a 54g device. I have a few wireless devices in the house, but is a bit annoying when they don't work together (and they aren't that cheap).

Cheers

4. marck

marck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I dont have any wireless networks so I should be ok.

Which one did you get from Argos as there are a couple of different models?
    Cheers
    Marck.

5. stevestarr13

stevestarr13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have been looking at the Phillips VL1200. around £60 online. You are able to plug this into the Sky+ scart and then the TV scart into the back of the sending unit (if you know what I mean), so you are not loosing a scart out from the Sky+box

6. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was a philips make. It's in the loft, so I don't know the model. I am pretty positive it is the following though (or at least an earlier version):-
    Philips Video Sender at Argos

Looks a lot better (like a little VCR) than most IMHO.

Oh, and it's a bit cheaper now too. Top quality picture when you get it right BTW.

Cheers

7. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, it was pretty easy to install. You just have to muck around a little with the channels (you have a choice of 4) and the IR sensors to get it working properly. I had the IR working half the time, but the picture top quality. I thought it was just the box and was going to send it back (my old video sender was rubbish picture, but great IR) when another channel worked perfectly for IR. Would still be using it if it wasn't for the interference with wireless.

Cheers

8. marck

marck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I just checked the Philips one that you suggest £60 reduced from £75 - is that the same as the VL1200 one?

9. stevestarr13

stevestarr13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    in my Argos book it looks the same but as there is no model number I could not say 100%

10. marck

marck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was in Dixons today and they had a Philips 1100 model for £50 so I bought that. Have just set it up and it works a treat :D
    Being able to use the remote control with it is an added bonus.

Thanks for all the advice
    Marck.

11. linkster

linkster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I had the Argos one a while back and it stopped working, foolishly I threw it out, now I have to buy another. Maplins have one for £30 - does anyone have any personal experience of it to say whether or not it's any good?

What worries me is if it's part of my setup which I'm carefully upgrading then I don't want to introduce a weak link (for example if the scart isn't RGB). Anyway, if anyone knows either way I'd appreciate some info.

12. LG Chet

LG Chet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi I have the one from maplins and it works a treat, I have bought an additional reciever and now have a fully functional sky+ in the dining room and upstairs with a perfect image.

13. linkster

linkster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Most interesting, thanks loads for that.

14. linkster

linkster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Right, majorly ****** off. Have just shelled out 60 quid for the Phillips one thinking I'd be buying a quality one. Websites SAY it suppports RGB. Yet as soon as I route anythin throught it, the picture goes to ****. It's not the cables, they are fine.

Anyone have ANY advice before this goes back to the shop??? In the simplest terms, this is a Sky box going into Av1 on the Philips transmitter then out the AV1 out scart to the TV - he presto, crap picture. what the fudge is going on, other than it doesn't support RGB?

15. sparkz

sparkz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just tried the same thing myself. No matter what channel I select I always get bad buzzing and a very broken up picture.

I had a feeling it might not work as nothing wireless seem to work through any walls or floors in my house :confused: Back to Argos it goes ...

Mark