Best device to receive emails.

Discussion in 'ISPs & The Internet' started by Azafran, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Azafran

Azafran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    What is the best device to receive emails when travelling around Europe? I use a wireless laptop at the moment but it's not always practical to carry such a large item.

Everybody seems to use a Blackberry but the screen seems a bit small for me. Any suggestions?

2. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,592
    There are a plethora of smartphones on the market you can use; iPhone, Blackberry, Samsung, HTC are the most popular.

If you only want to use wifi to download mail (to avoid roaming charges for using cellular data) then and iPod Touch would work also

3. Azafran

Azafran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Many thanks for the reply but it is vague. I'm looking for a device with a screen that allows me (with my glasses) to see the content.

Some emails that I receive have about 1Mb attachments, I'm trying to nail down a device with a reasonable size screen that won't cost the earth to operate or take forever to open.

Again many thanks.

4. Sartios

Sartios
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Blackberry is the best for work and communicating, excellent push email and perfect qwerty keyboard.

I'm selling a month old blackberry bold 9900 in the classifieds, is blackberry best device to date, the screen is big as well.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  5. Azafran

Azafran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Merry Xmas to everyone.
    Going back the the Blackberry, if it's that good - why are you selling it after a month and what have you replaced it with?

6. Curly99

Curly99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    if you have any questions regarding the sale of the blackberry can you post them in the sellers thread in the classified forum and not here please.

Curly

7. Azafran

Azafran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Curly
    You appear to have missed the humour. Have a good Xmas.

8. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,592
    We know/knew nothing about you being able to see with or without glasses, and we can't possibly know if you have an eyesight issue or to what extent. Blackberry, iPhone/iPod, Samsung and HTC all do large (full) screens, with Samsung and HTC having some of the biggest screens on the market. Really, you need to get down to a decent phone shop and hold the devices in your hand to see what you think of them, as ultimately the choice is yours as to which you prefer.

As for a service, no, you didn't mention it in your first post. I mentioned about using an iPod Touch if you on'y wanted to download via wifi instead of cellular data plan, as using UK data plans abroad will incur expensive roaming charges. Again, you need to speak to the carriers to see if/who does outside UK data plans for what price

9. GloopyJon

GloopyJon
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,561
    I have an HTC Incredible S which has a 4 inch screen. It's great for emails, I've been very happy with it. It's the first phone that I've had which has really hit all the buttons - I had an LG Viewty before that which wasn't good enough, but the current generation of smartphones is great and getting better all the time.

So really anything with a decent-sized screen will probably make you happy (the 4" screen of my phone is a reasonable minimum IMO). If you have the pocket space, a tablet will be even better for emails, but they are significantly less portable.

10. dc8900

dc8900
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,498
    how about a Samsung Galaxy Note? Big enough screen (5") for a mobile.

11. Curly99

Curly99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    indeed I did...sorry not enough of the Christmas cheer was flowing at that time... since rectified :clap:

Merry Christmas

12. Azafran

Azafran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the various replies, the Galaxy S2 was a bit strong for me so I opted for the cheaper Galaxy Ace.

It does what I wanted and the screen size is tolerable. The only thing I notice is the short battery life when I'm using bluetooth in the car. I did notice that my previous old phone, an ancient Nokia, had a short battery life when connected to bluetooth. I guess this is something that affects all mobile phones?

Again thanks.

13. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,592