Best device for network PC streaming

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by Scyther, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Scyther

Scyther
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking for a device, around £50-95, that will offer reliable networked PC video streaming and support a wide range of video formats. I was thinking of getting the WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (the newest one). However, I'm a bit wary, as I own a WDTV Live, which was always unreliable at staying connected to a PC. I would also like to watch YouTube on the device, but not bothered about Netflix and most other services.

Thanks in advance.

2. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,113
    What kind of connections issues, were you using PC network shares or DLNA to access the earlier WDTV. Could be some underlying network issues.

WDTV Live SMP is really the best bang for buck at the moment, you could go with a DuneTV device but as they use a similar Sigma Designs chipset they are ultimately not that different.

3. Scyther

Scyther
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The network is actually working fine on the other WDTV Live. I had forgotten to set one of the shared folders to Permissions>Everyone>Read/Write; it was saying "there is no media in the..." before, but now it seems to be working okay.

Yeah, I will probably get the SMP, then.

Would you trust buying it from here (says it's only £61 with free shipping): Tv Live Streaming Media Player (website is called "Britz Mall")

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  4. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,113
    Couldn't say never used them before, it's about £73 with free delivery from Amazon UK.

5. Scyther

Scyther
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's safe to go with Amazon, but £61(incl.VAT) with free delivery is a steal. I think I should buy it from there.

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,517
    I know there is no guarantee with unknown companies, but checking the 'Contact Us' page of their site they show a landline phone number and a full Uk address.
    Had it been just a mobile phone number and PO Box address I would have advise avoiding them.

Mark.

7. Scyther

Scyther
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I got to their PayPal login, and got a "This transaction cannot be completed..." error. Tried the 2Checkout option and also got an error.

Don't think it's anything wrong on my end; PP account is verified and in good standing.

I emailed them, but haven't got a reply. Should I wait for them to reply, or just go with the safer, Amazon?

8. bombadil

bombadil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Look a little closer on the Britz Mall 'Contact us' page and there are pointers that this site is not 100%.

Yes, they give a street address but there is no Guild Street in London SE22, or anywhere in London.

The postcode they quote is for a residential street by another name.

The phone number they give starts 0207 but numbers in the SE22 area start 0208.

Most worrying is the fact that they incorrectly spell the name of their own company as Brits Mall rather than Britz Mall on their contact details.

Looking at the huge range of products they sell, all at prices below everyone else, would worry me that there is something not right here

Oh, and the website is registered to someone who gives his address as xyz Street in Pakistan!