Best device for DVD collection playback?

maxbrooker

Hi,

I've searched through many posts over the last few days, but not found the best solution yet...

Basically I want to copy my DVD collection to a HDD and connect it to my Denon Home Cinema 7.1 AV Amp, and in turn feed my Projector (720p).

It needs to have a simple interface with cover art/thumbnails for easy selection and a remote control.

I can rip all my DVDs to .iso format - or other format if need be. I will be using a Mac for ripping and copying to the HDD... there are no PCs in my household - does that complicate things?

I plan to wire up the cinema room for ethernet in the future, but it's not a priority as I'm not interested in internet content at the moment. But a little bit of future proofing would be sensible if my situation changes.

Budget is £100-200.... any recommendations?

Thanks

next010

Distinguished Member
D-Link or Iomega Boxee Box if you want movie scraping fully automated, also can read Apple AFP network shares (you don't need to use Samba) and has Airplay support.

You add a media source in Boxee settings, then feed it the folder holding your .iso images and they appear in the UI like in the video below. The movies should be named according to iMDB for accurate auto identification.

maxbrooker

Thanks, The Boxee Box does seem popular - but weary of all sorts of posted saying it's a bit buggy and can "lag" at times? Is the latest Firmware stable now?

Any other suggestions for my shortlist?

Lots of you seem to rave about the Dune products, but am I right that they lack a built "video wall" although one is only available via a 3rd party app, but you need a PC to manage it?

What about any of the Popcorn Products and the new popbox v8?

next010

Distinguished Member
Yeah it's pretty stable now Boxee have been ironing out the issues, some lag did creep into recent firmware updates but it really only manifests when you add a network share in media source, exit a video waiting for it to come back to player UI and shutting down the box - nothing I would consider a deal breaker. There's a major firmware update in the works which is due soon but probably wont hit till early next year.

Dune need a PC for jukebox. Popcornhour 300 has semi-automatic jukebox which like boxee will scan the file names but it does not run in the background and must be manually initiated. The Popbox V8 lacks this feature altogether and has no video wall at all, it can scan one item at a time but also only display one item at a time due to it's file listing mode.

limegreenzx

Banned
The Popbox V8 lacks this feature altogether and has no video wall at all, it can scan one item at a time but also only display one item at a time due to it's file listing mode.

Popbox V8 supports YAMJ Video jukebox but just like the Dune requires a PC for setup.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom