Best detail enhancer-your thoughts?

azz

Novice Member
Hi

I am in the market for a LCD and detail without sideffects is my goal and decent blacks.

What do people think?

Philips-Pixel+,Pixel+2,HD etc
Tosh-activision
JVC-Dist and now Dist HD
LG-Xd engine
Sammi-DNIe
Sony-Wega
Hitachi-picturemaster

Pannasonic ?no pixel adder but deep/best blacks provided your directly infront of the screen

Or is it all hype. The only one i can realy tell something is realy happening is with philips but they have the most side effects.

Azz

DanDT

On Standard Definition sources, the Wega engine and the VIEIRA engine (that's how the panasonic one is called) seem to be regarded as the best.

neilmcl

I wouldn't base your purchase on any, you'll only end up turning them off to get a better picture anyway, although I do agree the Wega is probably the best of the bunch.

andrewfee said:
Pixel Plus 2 HD and DNIe are both rubbish, as is the majority of processing.

Sony's WEGA Engine apparently has the least side-effects/artefacts.
I'll second that. Also, if you're after decent blacks, the Sony TVs I think have the best Backlight adjust. You can put it into Power Saving mode and get the backlight down REALLY low, and then manually adjust it from 0-10.

Too many LCDs are hyped up for giving a really bright picture. I don't want a really bright picture if it makes everything black look dark grey.

funcky

Novice Member
From my experience (not much) picture processing seems to makes digital tv look really soft and adjusting sharpness does'nt help much. But when it comes to dvds this is where the picture procesing really comes into play and works great. Anyone know if it does anything for consoles? I can't see a difference in this area. Waht side effects or artifacts can picture processing introduce?

I actually haven't seen any side effects from WEGA Engine. Sony seem to take a very, very cautious approach with any sort of picture alteration (for the most part). I mean, the Noise Reduction on the SCART inputs and the Dynamic Contrast on my TV do almost nothing, they're very careful.

In fact I wasn't even aware that WEGA Engine was doing anything at all before I used a TV without it, then I could clearly see the difference.

azz

Novice Member
Lyris said:
I actually haven't seen any side effects from WEGA Engine. Sony seem to take a very, very cautious approach with any sort of picture alteration (for the most part). I mean, the Noise Reduction on the SCART inputs and the Dynamic Contrast on my TV do almost nothing, they're very careful.

In fact I wasn't even aware that WEGA Engine was doing anything at all before I used a TV without it, then I could clearly see the difference.

The problem is you cant turn them off appart from philips so you realy dont know-sammi have their dnie demo.

Panasonic on their CRTs had the acuity system-i fell for the hype and it was crap-ive been to the panaonic website and i could see anyware that atheir viera system actually increase the number of pixels.

I admit when the wega engine came out it was the supposed to be the dogs b****cks but i thought pixel plus 2 left it behind.

I have the hitachi 42pd7200 picture master and u cant turn it off so i cant tell how good it is but the PQ is v good indeed but im talking plasma now. On philips sets with sd material the pq is the most 3d but looks a little artificial.

azz

azz

azz

Novice Member
Lyris said:

The problem is you cant turn them off appart from philips so you realy dont know-sammi have their dnie demo.

Panasonic on their CRTs had the acuity system-i fell for the hype and it was crap-ive been to the panaonic website and i couldnt see anyware that atheir viera system actually increase the number of pixels.

I admit when the wega engine came out it was the supposed to be the dogs b****cks but i thought pixel plus 2 left it behind.

I have the hitachi 42pd7200 picture master and u cant turn it off so i cant tell how good it is but the PQ is v good indeed but im talking plasma now. On philips sets with sd material the pq is the most 3d but looks a little artificial.

azz

azz

dacco

Novice Member
andrewfee said:
Pixel Plus 2 HD and DNIe are both rubbish, as is the majority of processing.

Sony's WEGA Engine apparently has the least side-effects/artefacts.

Are you for real:confused:

See the SONY appreciation society is out in force today....all that style and no substance.

Dacco, what do you mean? Can you explain a bit more?

All style and no substance IMHO couldn't be further from the truth. Trust me, I used to be a huge Dreamcast supporter and was furious when it fell apart because of Sony's ruthless marketing tactics and lies - I should be the last person to grow to love Sony stuff but I give anything a fair look and judge it on the quality, not on the brand. Sony earned every bit of my respect (and cash) at a time where I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. It's for that reason alone that I think the BRAVIA TVs are the best LCDs around.

Stylish? The V-series, yeah. Overpriced? I'd say so. Made to not last long? Quite possibly. But I still think they're the image quality is the best around.

neilmcl

dacco said:
Are you for real:confused:

See the SONY appreciation society is out in force today....all that style and no substance.
Even some of you Philips fanboys have said they prefer to watch the 9830 without PP2 enabled.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom