1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Demo DVD

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Big Ga, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Big Ga

Big Ga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Folks!

Wondering if you could give me some suggestions as to what you consider _the_ best DVDs for demonstrating 5.1/6.1 surround effects as well as using the sub to best advantage! (need to give one of erics CHT-10s a workout....)

Might as well be a good film to boot :)

Cheers
    G.

2. robocop

robocop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Try these for a starter:

The start of Toy Story 2.
    The canal chase scene in Terminator 2.
    The depth charge scene for U-571 (pref R1 in DTS).
    The opening beach scene of Saving Private Ryan ( again R1 DTS).
    The lobby scene in The Matrix.

I could go on and on.

3. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  4. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No one mentioned the pod race scene from Star Wars: EP1 :(

5. Big Ga

Big Ga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I forgot to mention that as well as surround 'effects', I'm interested in films that use the rears for more than just the odd 'swoosh' or 'clunk'
    The LOTR has some nice chanting/singing stuff that seems to envelop you - that sort of stuff and even surround dialogue would be good.

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    The Others....Scary, spooky, fabby!

Blue Crush also has a scene at night in the girls house. It's raining outside and they have a leaky roof. My cat and I both thought I had a leaky roof....so it's quite good for surround speakers...:)

7. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One of the most outstanding demo scenes of late (particularly for sub workout) is "Brotherhood of the wolf" (Canadian DTS version)

The fight scene finale at the end (where else) of the movie is outstanding.

8. Chivalry

Chivalry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    We were Soldiers uses lots of rear speaker throughout the film...more so than any other ive noticed in a while..... and a brill film as well :0)

9. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Another veteran of the sub-destroying scene that seems to have been strangely overlooked as yet is Titan A.E. (Region 1 DTS) - fantastic soundtrack overall, with the Ice Ring chapter (16 I believe) being a favourite sub benchmark.

Also, I recently watched Ghost Dog (not the first time I'd seen it, but the first time on a decent system), and the thunderstorm scene at the end, where he assassinates the guy through the plumbing, has *amazing* thunder/lightning sounds, with serious dynamic range and great deep rumbly bass - watch with the volume at 11 and prepare to be shaken!

The rain surround effects are also very well done and cleverly used in the film. E.g. there's a bit where Ghost Dog's looking through a window at a mobster he's about to kill, who's watching TV, and you can tell when you're inside the house with the mobster, and when you're outside with Ghost Dog looking in through the glass by the sounds of the rain around you - very classy. :) The whole film, really, has got an excellent soundtrack, with some seriously thumping rap music, and very subtle yet effective and very immersive use of surround sound effects.

Others worth mentioning (off the top of my head) include Fight Club (the air crash scene is terrifying), Pitch Black Region 1 DTS (initialy crash scene, again terrifying, and surround effects excellent throughout). Also, Amélie has a beautifully mastered DTS soundtrack, with excellent use of surrounds.

There are many others, of course. I'll leave it to the guys.....

Cheers,

Dunc

10. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got xXx last week and was quite taken by the use of the surround channels, also the avalanche scene will really take your subwoofer to task!

11. Marcus Skidd

Marcus Skidd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    He did suggest that "Might as well be a good film to boot " :D

12. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheeky!! :D

13. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    May i suggest the following Brotherhood of the Wolf dts 3disc canadian version (( whole film is a demo for your amp but avoid the dubbed soundtrack )) The Perfect Storm, Gladiator, Dario Argento's Opera ((region 1 and an effective 6.1 dts remix at one point the crows really are behind ur head, The Mask of Zorro, The Haunting region 1 dts signature collection (( fireplace scene where theyre all talkin then something happens in the fire and the sub is called into play is very nice )), Pearl Harbor region 1 dts 4 disc version (( play the attack sequence its superb )), Stargate ultimate edition dts (( whole film is one superb demo for your speakers)), Armageddon (( once again the whole film is a showcase )), The X Files movie (( some very subtle surround effects and some not so subtle )), and Cutthroat Island (( i have region 1 its not a great picture but sounds superb i believe region 2 is now uncut and anamorphic )) also last but not least the dts trailer on films such as Dragonheart or Terminator 2 and also THX trailer on Terminator 2 and Star Wars Episode 2 which is superb

14. Apone

Apone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    I quite like the start of Star Wars episode 2 with the ships flying in from behind and then the explosion that follows. Another sequence from the movie is the fight between Jango and Obi Wan which also sounds excellent and also a paticular favorite is the chase sequence in the asteroid field between Jango and Obi Wan.

Minority Report also is a very good film for surround effects. Particular favorites include the start when Tom Cruise is searching for the 'future' killer on the hand operated interactive screen in front of him, another sequence is the part when he is on the run and gets caught in the alleyway by the police and then the actions starts. Also check out when he and fellow passengers are boarding a train and a camera is scanning the eyes of each person boarding the train-excellent surround effects here.

Monsters Inc-again an excellent mix with great bass and surround effects throughout whole movie.

I don't think you will find many films with dialogue in the surround channels although Superman was mixed with stereo dialogue when released in cinemas.

Tron also has dialogue in the surrounds on some scenes if memory serves although I cannot remember which scenes.

Regards

Mahmood

15. Big Ga

Big Ga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, some interesting choices there. A few of them I have, many I don't (but probably will shortly!)

I note that Blade II isn't anywhere to be seen - I bought this on the strength that it came top of some DVD mag's awards for best audio!! It was ok, but just seemed like nearly two hours of 'slam' 'thunk' with all the fighting..... got a bit too much in the end.

Notice many of you specify a particular region and/or DTS.
    How much of a difference in your opinion is there??
    (haven't had a chance myself to do any serious comparisons yet, although the couple of times I have tried, I certainly thought the DTS version had the edge)

16. Marcus Skidd

Marcus Skidd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There shouldn't be any difference between the sound on different regions but unfortunately there is in practice. Lord of The Rings being a prime example with complaints that the disalogue was too low and muffled in the region 2 version whilst it was claimed that the region 1 version was one of the loudest soundtracks ever.

The Dolby Digital versus DTS battle will rage on and on. In theory DTS should be better as it uses less compression but in practice to save space on discs it is recorded at a reduced bitrate thus wiping out a lot of the benefit.

On some DVDs the DTS will be better than Dolby Digital and on others vice versa. Invariably the DTS version will be louder which many take to be better but I don't believe that to be the case.

Finally, no-one included Blade 2 in their list as you asked for decent films and that was a shocker.

17. robocop

robocop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Don't forget the plane crash scene from Cast Away (R1 is DTS ES matrix).

18. Markie Boy

Markie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Perth, Western Australia (Originally Ireland)
    Ratings:
    +228
    Jurassic Park III is another good one. The remixed 5.1 on Yellow Submarine is a good musical one too.

19. andyr300

andyr300

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    the scene near the end of i,robot where the robots are going into the polices office and the bloke blasts two of them with a shotgun was pretty hefty on the sub and the scenes before and after are fairly good workout for the surrounds!

20. cathals

cathals
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have to agree with Robocop on two of his.

Favorite of mine is Beach scene in Saving Private Ryan and also The Matrix.

Also consider opening scene of Star wars 3

21. ADC

ADC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    House of flying daggers is pretty good too.

22. BAN5HEE

BAN5HEE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    The Haunting Region DTS will blow your speakers and you and possibly the neigbours house away. Flight of the Phoenix where the plane enters the dust storms is amazing and will give you a fear of flying. I love the begging of LOTR where Sauron Implodes. THE LFE makes my insides vibrate...