Best DAC for PS5?

Mazrus

Standard Member
Hi folks, I've been running an Astro mixamp with my PS4 Pro for years and get on with it great, but wondered if there was now a better option? (Also, Astro can't confirm that it'll work with the 3D audio, though I don't see why not if the newer ones do - I suspect they were trying to encourage me to buy a newer mixamp.)

I see there is a new mixamp (Pro TR), but I'm not sure if it's actually any better than the old model I already have. I think mine has 5.1 and the newer models have 7.1 surround, but what difference that actually makes on headphones, I'm not sure. A more powerful DAC with an EQ might be good. I have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro's hooked up to my current DAC.

Anybody got any suggestions?

Thanks!

Mazrus

Standard Member
That said, my Astro is a surround sound amp with Dolby 5.1 (the latest Astro amp has 7.1), whereas the Schiit amp seems to just be an amplifier/DAC. Will I still get surround sound, or is a surround sound amp required? Like does the PS5 put out surround sound if you set the output to "headphones" or are you better off with an actual surround sound amp/DAC?

Detto

The surround stuff always seems like a waste of time for me. Stereo on good headphones sounds better imho. Not sure how ps5 works.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom