Best current PC game with similar gameplay to the Command and Conquer titles?

meath man

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

As per title, I am wondering what the best current PC title is that has similar gameplay to the command and conquer titles (I finished all of them)...

Specifically base building, building armies etc?

I ideally want a modern warfare title and nothing futuristic/Historic.

Thanks.

Supreme Commander and Supreme Commander Forged Allaince (Not Supreme Commander 2 though IMHO)

You can even go all the way back to the original Total Anihilation if you want.

or

Starcraft (yes the original is ancient but still fun) and Starcraft 2

Starcraft 2 being the most current, though the older Supreme Commander Forged Alliance is a great deal of fun too and offers a slightly different and more complex gameplay style and there are loads of mods, custom versions you can download as well.

Last edited:
If you still have an XP Operating System id go for Act of War: Direct Action. Excellent game and was my C&C replacement after EA took over.

Have you played company of hero's? if not check it out.

Company of Heroes is a fantastic game and could have been an all time great, except Relic let the cheats and the amount of patches kill it's online component. Damn shame.

SC2 is probably the very best right now, good offline campaign and online multiplayer is the best around. Blizzard wont let it die off after a year or 2 either.

SC2 will be here for another 8-10 years I reckon so never to late to get into it.

dawn of war 1 (not the second) and its accompanying expansions use the same formula

To be honest nothing compares to the command and conquer series that isn't futuristic in feel, and the most recent c+c's don't really feel like a c+c game anymore.

Fisrt I'd suggest would be Company of Hero's, it's set in world war time's and you have to capture stratigic point's. It's actually quite a good game.

Futuristic titles there are many of at the moment:
The most c+c feel I have had in a game recently is Starcraft II (and no there is no subscription being a blizzard game). You collect resources very much a crossed feel like in generals/ra2, build up a base, army, upgrade it all etc....

The supreme commander game's I also really enjoy, and some don't like the second one, however I really enjoy it. It was the first game I picked up (in the steam sale that it frequents for £2.49 odd) that I quite enjoyed since EA killed c+c.

I love the dawn of war games series, another stratigic point capture type system. Base and army building.
Dawn of war II+ although very good is more a 'squad' type stratigic game.
You have a few squads to command upgrade and level with Rpg type elements, no base building or army building here.

If you like fantasy type rpg's I'd look at:
World Of Warcraft III (strategy not the mmo)
Lord of the rings Battle for Middle Earth 1 2 and expansions
There are more but I can't think of them at this moment in time.

tris

What about something like World In Conflict? Has the right timeline for what you are looking for

What about something like World In Conflict? Has the right timeline for what you are looking for

Found the camera to be a real pain in the ass tbh just a heads up, try demo first :)

Thanks a lot for the replys. Plenty of stuff to look into.

I always thought Starcraft was in the World of Warcraft mode which I have no interest in. Looks like I was wrong about that and I think I might pick it up for about £26 on Amazon.

Just one issue, I have a high end Dell workstation... However, it has a graphics card that is designed for video editing etc and not gaming. Would I be ok to run Starcraft on fairly low settings and still make it a worthwhile game to buy?

Thanks a lot for the replys. Plenty of stuff to look into.

I always thought Starcraft was in the World of Warcraft mode which I have no interest in. Looks like I was wrong about that and I think I might pick it up for about £26 on Amazon.

Just one issue, I have a high end Dell workstation... However, it has a graphics card that is designed for video editing etc and not gaming. Would I be ok to run Starcraft on fairly low settings and still make it a worthwhile game to buy?

Give us the specs of your system and we'll tell you :)
(cpu, gpu memory)

I doubt you'll have much of a problem if it's not on board graphics, but let us know the specs and we'll help out :smashin:

tris

Although not entirely similar Defense Grid would be a good game if you liked C&C. Cheap to buy aswell.

Whoever said Dawn of War wasn't on to a bad shout either, but Star Craft 2 if you only buy one.

CnC generals is the best one of the lot add to that the expansion zero hour which im sure you have already..now theres a lot of fan made add ons that change the game considerably that are great fun and interesting
this is one total conversion that is very good and there are others.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/cold-war-crisis/addons
andmaybe see you online on the battlefield eh.

db

Last edited:
Give us the specs of your system and we'll tell you :)
(cpu, gpu memory)

I doubt you'll have much of a problem if it's not on board graphics, but let us know the specs and we'll help out :smashin:

tris

Hi,

Spec as follows:

Model: Dell Precision t7400 workstation
Processors: 2 x Intel Xeon E5420 quad core processors
Memory – 8GB (8X1024) 667 MHZ DDR2 QUAD Channel Ram
Hard Drives – 3 x 300GB 15000 RPM SAS hard drives. Model: Seagate ST3300655SS
Graphics Card: 512mb NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700
PSU: 1000W

On the NVIDIA control panel, I looked at the 'view compatibility with games' tab and it says next to Starcraft 2: 'Good'

'Issues with recommended settings:'

'Some effects warp objects incorrectly, Some objects render at the wrong depth.'

CnC generals is the best one of the lot add to that the expansion zero hour which im sure you have already..now theres a lot of fan made add ons that change the game considerably that are great fun and interesting
this is one total conversion that is very good and there are others.

Addons - Cold War Crisis Mod for C&C Generals: Zero Hour - Mod DB
andmaybe see you online on the battlefield eh.

db

Ive played so many C&C titles, I honestly cant remember if I played generals. Must have a look around and see if I can find it anywhere. If I cant, might be worth picking up because its dirt cheap now... (£5.95 for generals and zero hour : Link

I wonder would it work with Windows 7 64 bit? I found this:

Windows 7 Compatibility for Command & Conquer: Generals Deluxe: EA. Drivers, Updates, Downloads

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Command and Conquer Decade or Saga I'd go for if I didnt already have them. They both include generals and zero hour plus all the other games before them and saga includes tiberium wars.
They can usually be had for sub £10.

They can all be run under windows 7 64 bit, at least they do on my system. I always run as admin and for the older games run in compatability mode for win98/xp depending on the game.

I think your gpu should be fine for Starcraft:
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700M - Notebookcheck.net Tech

Few years old now by the looks of it, but looks like it will run it.

If you goto 'can you run it' site:
Can You Run It?
Choose whatever games you want to play on the dropdown list, accept the small plugin which scans your hardware and it'll tell you a rough guide for what you can run :)

I would have pm'd you a trial code for starcraft 2, but it looks as if the wife has recycled the four I had awaiting someone on the forum to need one :(

There was talk of a demo becoming available, might be worth a google.

tris

Ive played so many C&C titles, I honestly cant remember if I played generals. Must have a look around and see if I can find it anywhere. If I cant, might be worth picking up because its dirt cheap now... (£5.95 for generals and zero hour : Link

I wonder would it work with Windows 7 64 bit? I found this:

Windows 7 Compatibility for Command & Conquer: Generals Deluxe: EA. Drivers, Updates, Downloads

Generals wasnt bad but I dont consider it a C&C title it was just a RTS with C&C slapped on the front.

C&C Ended after RA2: Yuri's Revenge. Although I enjoyed the Tiberium Wars and its expansion they were pretty cool.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Generals wasnt bad but I dont consider it a C&C title it was just a RTS with C&C slapped on the front.

C&C Ended after RA2: Yuri's Revenge. Although I enjoyed the Tiberium Wars and its expansion they were pretty cool.

Amen to that. Have you seen a new ea studio has got their hands on any new c&c's, wonder what direction it'll be heading in now.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom