Question Best current 43/42 inch tv...??

bill radley

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi. Looking at a switch from my current tv which has annoying 1080p to i handling causing flashes/glitches. I currently use aerial (rather than sat).

Looking to get top of range 42 or 43 inch tv. Ideally would prefer if legs weren't widely splayed which seems like the current trend.

From experience does anyone have any solid recommendations for excellent natural picture with excellent motion control. Not fussed re 4K but guess it will be a 4K! ?

I've just been through this myself.

In terms of absolute PQ, I think the Samsung KS7500 is the best 43 available at the moment. However it has wide feet, and it's a curved screen, which may or may not be your bag.

Second to that, and the one I ended up getting, is the Sony 43XD80. That model is the only one in the XD80 & XD83 line that has a VA panel, so the blacks and contrast are good. However viewing angles are not brilliant. That's not an issue for me as we only have a 2-seater sofa that is head-on to the TV. If you want a TV for a brighter room and to be viewed from all angles, then the X43D83 is mostly the same, but is IPS and has a 100hz panel.

The Sony motion handling is generally thought of as being the best available at the moment. The picture is excellent from broadcast HD sources. The scaling is very good, I accidentally recorded the Ri Christmas lectures in SD and the TV handled it extremely well. Much better than I was expecting SD to look.

I found that all the preset modes on my panel were a bit biased to blue by default (using a colorimeter), even the Expert ones that are supposed to be closer to D65. But that can vary from panel to panel, and rtings found the Expert1 temp preset to be quite close on their sample.

Sony X800D Review (XBR43X800D, XBR49X800D)

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom