Best cordless USB phone??

S

studavis

Just looking for reccomendations on the best USB cordless phone out there at the moment. Any help is appreciated!

Hi StuDavis, welcome...

I'm not certain what you mean as USB is generally a corded connection unless you use it for a bluetooth adapter and then it is referred to as Bluetooth....

My guess is that you are looking for something like the Siemens DECT set where the base-station can be connected to a PC....To my knowledge there are no other brands available in the UK, Germany has got a few more like TipTel and DeteWe who do those...Then again BT has got a habbit of rebranding the Siemens stuff....

Perhaps you can clarify what it is you are looking for. What type of connection you are interested in Skype vs SIP for example....What your usage would be like, etc...Whether you are bothered having to have your PC on all the time, and if not shame on you for wasting electricity ;-)

I believe this maybe of use to you.

I have one and love it! Very usefull and I no longer feel a pratt walking around talking to my headphone and mic :D

*edit* P.s. It does support other VoIP but I have not bothered trying, i just use it with Skype.

Monty Burns said:
I believe this maybe of use to you.

thats the sort of thing i meant. i thought the price would be a bit lower though. you can get a cheap and cheerful corded version for like £20. ggod find though - thanks!

studavis said:
...you can get a cheap and cheerful corded version for like £20. ggod find though - thanks!

Your welcome!

I think its relativley so expensive because its the first out there to do all it does. I would imagine over the next few months we will see many more launch and as such prices drop significantly.

Hi Monty

I have a Du@lPhone and have had some problems with echo - have you found any problems as I can't find any settings for echo-cancellation.

Goto the dualphone website and update the software which will also update any handsets you have, the make sure you are also using the latest version of skype, they are improving all the time.

The only time we have probelms is when there is a low quality connection at one end

rwest said:
Hi Monty

I have a Du@lPhone and have had some problems with echo - have you found any problems as I can't find any settings for echo-cancellation.

As the post above says, first step should always be latest drivers.

Ive only used mine a couple of times so far and not had any issues. Although most of mine have been through Skype-In so I would imagine the source quality is going to be fairly good.

The only time I have echo is when talking to a person using a regular mic and speakers but even then not often.

I also have the dualphone and have had no problems whatsoever. It's actually a really good bit of kit although I haven't made any land line calls with it yet!

This phone does not appear to have an answerphone in its base station. Are there any similar phones due out with a built in answerphone?

Matt

matthewlee said:
This phone does not appear to have an answerphone in its base station. Are there any similar phones due out with a built in answerphone?

Matt

No idea, sorry :(

It doesn't have vm built in coz its really supposed to be used with VoIP with the fallback option of pots and Skype already has a vm facility.

Why not use a Linksys PAP2 PSTN to IP adaptor which can be used with any phone ? (Two phones in fact)

The dualphone is good (I have two) but I did make a mistake in that I didn't check functionality first, there is neither a speakerphone function or conferencing function, so no way to share my transatlantic calls with the missus.

Had I not been stupid and checked this before buying, I probably would have kept my Panachronic DECT cordless phones and just bought one Linksys CIT200, which supports both speakerphone and conferencing (if you have two handsets registered to the base, of course).

I have suggested to dualphone that they implement conferencing in a future update, as the base unit obviously has the oomf to cope with it (it can route a landline call to one handset and a skype call to another, simultaneously, using handsets registered to the same base). They replied that "it's not possible", which of course is a lie, they just can't be bothered to do the programming to implement it.

Apart from all that skype call quality is excellent and very reliable.

--Loob.

I use a DU@Lphone for marathon telephone calls to the US, I'm talking between 3 and 5 hours of chat! The quality is very good and lag is unnoticeable. It is best not to be downloading anything whilst using it as there can be issues with lag and voice breakup even on broadband, but this is probably more to do wiith the net connection than anything else though. As long as your PC is 'idle' the call quality can be exceptional given the medium by which the call is being made.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom