1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best cordless k'bd & mouse ? Bad GYRATION experience

Discussion in 'Computer Peripherals & Consumables' started by Steve1138, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Steve1138

Steve1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what's your preferred k'bd & mouse ?

I took the advice and got a GYRATION and I thinks it's RUBBISH.
    I have to have the receiver within a couple of feet & the mouse sometimes won't send the signal through the arm of the couch and i have hold it closer.
    The keyboard is even worse... I've changed batteries and it still doesn't respond instantly / reliably. I have to check each keystroke on the screen
    I can't use the mouse & kbd at same time very relaibly (for ctrl or Shift + click multiple selections)
    I can't use key combinations of shift + ctrl + arrow for test navigation / edit and sometime even Alt + tab won't work
    (it's like one of the key signals is lost even tho yr still pressing it).

The air-mouse gyrator fn is pretty good, but it's not worth the hassle of unrelaible basic functionality...

(i have the two devices separated by 1 channels apart (eg.: 1 & 3)

Definitely NOT worth the money
    (or am I doing smthg wrong ?)

Steve

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Is the receiver near any electrical equipment that could cause interference? What distances are we talking about?

3. TEK

TEK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's been asked soooo many times on here before and the Gyration always seems to come at the top of the list - there's also a few posts about people not being able to use the combination reliably and it's been faulty stock so might be worth checking prod numbers with the manufacturer.

The only other reason I can think of is what Jeff suggested about RF interference with things such as cordless phones and other electrical equipment.

4. Steve1138

Steve1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    originally it was on top of the TV and next to my centre speaker
    (OK - maybe that was one reason !!)

Then I moved it closer to the seating position:
    now it's on a couch-side table right next to my LCD 15" monitor. Next closest things are LINN Kan speaker (maybe 2 to 3 feet away) and a power amp on the floor maybe 4 to 5 feet away.

will check the channels again and have already mailed QueitPC/UK

Steve

5. halephil

halephil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hi Steve, in my experience the combo works best when they are 2 channels apart - try changing the one on ch3 to ch4. you could also contact gyration direct at support@gyration.co.uk I do see faulty units from time to time so you could just be unlucky, again gyration have a quick RMA process to get you sorted if needed.

Phil

6. R121

R121
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    IMHO:-

Logitech cordless desktop = the keyboard is quite good in terms of quility and distance it works up to around 8 ft away but it is let down by the mouse which only works about 2 ft away.

Microsoft Bluetooth = Both keyboard and mouse have good range around 10 foot again BUT the qulity of the keyboard is not that good the keys feel light. There is a small delay in both KB and mouse if they are left idle for a while.

Gyration = I only had the Gyro mouse presenter in my experiance it had the longest range with over 12 ft but i dont like the design.

my perfect combination at the moment (which i am currently using).

Logitech kordless keyboard and an OLD logitech mouseman live (which i picked up from ebay for £15) the mouse man looks good and its got a range of around 8 - 10 ft

you may also want to consider the NEW Logitech Bluetooth KB and Mouse

hope this helps but i think you should try and get a replacement Graytion first.

R121

7. sapgem

sapgem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does sound like faulty stock. The gyration is supposed to have excellent range. Currently using mine without any drop outs at 8ft and I've previously used it at 20ft ish (though it is sensitive to where the transmitter is pointing at this range).

The keyboard is crap though. Had keys fall off my first one and the replacement had an electronics malfunction. Was too cramped anyway, so ended up replacing it with a generic full size Ebuyer cordless.

8. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Well I've had my Gyration combo for about 6 months now and it has worked flawlessly so far.

Sure the keyboard is small and I would not want to use it all day long but for keying in web addresses and emails it's more then fine.

I use mine from about 9ft away from the receiver which is just hidden behind the PC itself.

On my desktop PC I have the Logitech cordless desktop set which also works fine. The only problem with it is that the mouse eats batteries. I think the new version has a rechargable mouse.

Cheers, Lee

9. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, the MX700's "cradle" also charges the supplied rechargeable batteries.

Can't fault the Logitech in any respect but it's really only a desktop setup - range (esp. for the mouse) isn't great.

:smoke:

10. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,462
    MX 700 strongly recomended mouse here :smashin:

11. jonmale

jonmale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Logitech cordless desktop and optical mouse works over 3m away!!! prehaps its having the remote box placement slightly higher (not floor level!)