1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best contrast from a Panny AE100

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by maj74, Jun 2, 2002.

1. maj74

maj74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Looked at my watch while demoeing this machine last night, 1:30am. Damn!!!!!

I was going to ask is about the contrast ratio.
    The picture itself is lovely. (actually, considering the price it's damn excellent.) but its the background grey, the grey you get in the narrow bars on a 2.35:1 film that i find a distraction. This grey seems annoyingly light considering how good the picture overall is. (but hey, isn't that the problem with LCD?)

Is this problem something that will improve with one of these filters? don't they darken the whole image, just making it look gloomier? (I've never seen one in operation, so forgive my ignorance!)

If they really are worth it, how much are they, and where would I get one from?

Any other tweaks, that help that black! (screen colours.....anything!!)

Thanx

2. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Hi maj74. A filter will improve the grey bars a little bit, but your best bet is really to have some sort of masking that you can easily fit in place when watching 2.35:1 movies.

3. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +613
    so are the bars really grey , or only just grey ???

the reason i ask is that i have just got rid of a Plus DLP and was thinking of the ae100, but after doing the colour wheel mod on the Plus the bars were black , i mean you could see them, so that means there was something being projected onto the screen, but they did look black.

is this the same for the ae100 or are the bars obviously grey ??

4. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +613
    anyone , anyone ??? :)

go on someone with one of these projectors let me know, I can get one tomorrow but I cant take it back unless there are dead pixels. so i really need to know.

I have just read on AVS that the panny has been tested at just over 250:1 CR , if this is the case i really don't think that the extra bulb life will justify the drop in CR from my old Plus DLP, tested by folk on AVS at nearly 700:1 after modification.

I know that the tests could mean nothing, and there might not be a great difference , but 250:1 does sound very low.

5. Panicsony

Panicsony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Contrast ratio is difficult to measure. However the tricks are:

1. Use a darkened room. This increases the perceived brightness.
    2. Use a good screen. Stewart do a screen material called Greyhawk that is 0.95 gain and is supposed to give blacker blacks. I am sure people like Draper, Harkness and Da-Lyte do similar screens.

3. Adjust the contrast, brightness and especially colour carefully. Too much colour will drastically reduce the percived contrast ratio.

4. Don't go low cost DLP. This is a single chip screen and cannot give as good a colour rendition as three LCDs. Three DLP projectors are the very best. They start at around 30K.

5. Remember it cannot make you go blind despite what people say.