1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Connection Options?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by stroppygoblin, Jun 10, 2005.

1. stroppygoblin

stroppygoblin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, this is my first post on this great forum and today I will be mostly talking about connecting stuff.

I have read most (if not all) of the sticky threads regarding interconnecting equipment. Unfortunately most of these are aimed at the lowest common denominator regarding the equipment involved (if your tv only has one scart, etc)

What I would like to know is what would be the best way of connecting when ALL the options are available?

I have a Panasonic Viera TH42PV500 which has 3 scart (1 of which is RGB), DMVI (nothing to connect to this - yet!), Component RGB, digital audio, etc. I have a panasonic dvd (DMRES10EBS) with component RGB as well as twin scarts, a Sony Video recorder again with twin scarts and a SKY+ box. My amp is a Sony STR-DE495 Cinema amp.

OK. - so how best to connect all this?
    The video recorder has my lowest priority - to be honest with sky+ (and now the recordable dvd) it will almost never be used, however if it could be connected where I could record from tv/digital tv/sky digital without degrading the quality of anything else - that would be great.
    The dvd is a no brainer - direct connection to the plasma by way of component RGB (progressive too - nice) and I would assume the Sky+ box would go direct to TV via RGB scart. I can't see how the video would fit in under that scenario though.

Audio wise everything is going to go through the amp. however I have SKY+ and dvd fighting for the digital audio - can I have one plugged into the coax and one into the optical? if not (as I belive is the case) which should win?

I'd really appreciate some help on this as I will be installing the Panny on the wall and all these cables are going to be hidden behind plaster - I don't want to make a mistake now which means I need to pull it all out and rewire.

Look forward to some informed responses!! :lease:

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    Stroppygoblin

I don't know your DVD-R or AV Amp too well so you may have to 'tweak' the following.

Some folk say they see no degradation running SKY/SKY+ via a DVD-Recorder all the time - others find it looses some edge to the image quality and prefer to keep a Direct connection between SKY and the TV.

I'd try and compare SKY direct to the TV (RGB on SCART) vs. SKY (again RGB on SCART) via the DVD Recorder.

If you find SKY looks fine via the DVD-R then you can leave that in the signal path - if you find SKY looks better fed direct to the TV then you need to add a signal splitter to the RGB SCART Output of the SKY+ box (see http://www.js-technology.com/produc...id=51&osCsid=89c775dfe4fb2d15dbb0f2ce1eece64d)

If your in an experimental mood I'd also suggest you try Interlaced RGB (via SCART) vs. Progressive YUV (via 3RCA) from the DVD-R to the TV - its perfectly feasible that your TV has a better Deinterlacing processor than the one found in your DVD Recorder.

I believe your AV Receiver has 1 x Optical plus 1 x Coaxial Digital Input and I would have thought you would have a user menu that would allow you to 'assign' each Input to one of the selectable 'sources'; avoiding the 'fight' your worried about.

I would simply plug your VCR to the second or third SCART socket on the TV for Playback - and if you ever had to you could easily wire it to the DVD-R's second SCART socket to make a Composite video recording.

I wonder if your choice of a DVD-Recorder as your DVD Player is really the best move with such a high quality TV - I've yet to see a DVD-Recorder that really gets to grips with DVD playback and if you watch a lot of DVD's I'd be seriously tempted to audition a decent quality DVD player in your set up.

Best regards

Joe

3. stroppygoblin

stroppygoblin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Joe,
    thanks for the feedback. I'm looking forward to trying all of this. Currently none of the kit is here yet however! I'm awaiting delivery of the Plasma and dvd recorder and I've bought the Sony amp of ebay (arrives today! :clap: - I paid £40 seemed like a bargain to me :thumbsup: )

Your comments about the dvd are interesting. It comes as a freebie with the Plasma and I assumed it would be superior to the Sony NS405 that I already have. Would I be better keeping the Sony for dvd playback ? :eek: