Best connection for V+ (SD only) box? HDMI?

Tarquinius

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I seem to be confusing myself on a very basic question. :confused:..I'm sure this must be covered on these boards but I can't find the answer...

I have just had a V+ box installed today with SD only (no HD). Should I still use the HDMI out from the V+ box, even though I don't receive HD?

Or, given that I have SD, would RGB Scart / Component video be just as good ?

Or does the V+ upscale (and does it do it well?), in which case I guess the HDMI cable would then be the one to use as I would effectively then have an HD signal to output?

And one final query - am I right in thinking that HDMI carries video only, and not sound?

Thanks

Hello

Use HDMI. The V+ box upscales SD, not to HD standard but still pretty good. HDMI carries sound as well as the picture.

Yeah....I'm not sure what Tarquinius means. You should be able to BBC HD for free. That is the only HD channel available.

If you have a tv with an hdmi connection is it not an hd tv or am i missing something? that being the case would the tv do a better job at upscaling the picture than the box?

Yeah....I'm not sure what Tarquinius means. You should be able to BBC HD for free. That is the only HD channel available.

Thank you all for you replies.

You're quite right - I can access BBC HD channel using my V+ box !:cool: Now all I need is to buy my new TV to make use of it !

I don't know why, but I was given the distinct impression by Virgin on the phone that HD was an extra service that I would have to pay for over and above V+ ? Obviously not ? (That is how Sky do it, don't they?)

But I figure most of my viewing is likely to be in SD as I won't always be watching the HD channel ? And the answer to my query is obviously that I only need to use my HDMI output in any case.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom