Best Connection for the HS50 - VGA limited?

C

calvinhobbes

Hi All

Recieved my HS50 yesterday but as I flicked through the manual I was surprised to see that on p 54-55 that VGA does not have the ability to adjust color, hue, sharpness and black level, nor does it have DDE or wide mode.

Does this mean VGA is limilted and Component is a better connection? I've heard of the HDMI problems so I really thought VGA was going to be the best substitute!

calvinhobbes said:
Hi All

Recieved my HS50 yesterday but as I flicked through the manual I was surprised to see that on p 54-55 that VGA does not have the ability to adjust color, hue, sharpness and black level, nor does it have DDE or wide mode.

Does this mean VGA is limilted and Component is a better connection? I've heard of the HDMI problems so I really thought VGA was going to be the best substitute!

You haven't mentioned what equipment you are connecting?

The controls you are talking about are all available within the DVD software packages, so are not required on VGA. I have connected via VGA and HDMI, and HDMI offers nothing over VGA, as long as you have the right software.

For anyone who may read this and wonder,

If you use component VIA the VGA socket (which I do, 'cos I already had the cable round the room.) You get the full control over the colour etc....

I now use my Sony RDR-HX900 DVD player / recorder with component out direct to the HS-50 via the VGA socket and I get a SUPERB picture.

(I was both disappointed (as I though my old player might still be better) and pleased (as I now only need to use one machine) that the RDR-HX900 provides a better picture than my previous SONY DVP-S7700 component output.... I guess it just shows how things continue to move on...)

I should try the DVI. Not sure what your exact set up is but any digital source to digital display should in theory give a truer output when using digital communication than having to convert the digital source in to analogue signal and then convert it back to a digital one at the pj. Having said that i think the HS50 rescales DVI/HDMI images when set to its native 720 setting anyway. (?)

No-doubt it depends on individual equipment and settings but I can see a marked improvement in clarity when using DVI/HDMI rather than vga (both with 2910-HS50, and Laptop-HS50). The VGA appears to give a slight shadow, but other than that was good (I only used a cheap VGA lead).

Blue2 said:
I should try the DVI. Not sure what your exact set up is but any digital source to digital display should in theory give a truer output when using digital communication than having to convert the digital source in to analogue signal and then convert it back to a digital one at the pj. Having said that i think the HS50 rescales DVI/HDMI images when set to its native 720 setting anyway. (?)

No-doubt it depends on individual equipment and settings but I can see a marked improvement in clarity when using DVI/HDMI rather than vga (both with 2910-HS50, and Laptop-HS50). The VGA appears to give a slight shadow, but other than that was good (I only used a cheap VGA lead).

Hi Blue2,

Many HS50 users have tried both methods, and the majority prefer VGA. With good quality leads, I see no difference in picture quality, other than the HDMI picture appears slightly processed, and its also cropped, so the picture is never going to appear quite right.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom