1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best connection for plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Tracey, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I get a plasma in future are there any extra cables I need. At the moment I have an RGB only scart to scart connecting my DVD player to the tv (Loewe Aconda), so if I changed to a plasma, would I need a component cable to get the best out of my dvd player and if so what connections do they have, is it 3 phono plugs on each end and does it plug into the plasma/or tuner box then into the dvd player or my processor?

I definitely want a plasma so I need to lay the cable underneath the floor so I have it there when I need it. I'm just wondering how much better the picture would be compared to using by QED Scart cable.

2. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    It's generally agreed that component will give you a better picture due to the prog scan capability.
    It's basically 3 leads with either RCA/Phono or BNC connectors - get the one that fits your kit.

Unless your processor has component switching and you are actually using it for that then the connection will be direct from DVD to plasam.
    Depending on the type of plasma you get will determine whether you connect it to the panel or the tuner box (some plasmas don't have tuner boxes).
    If you do have a tuner however then it's fair to say that's where you will connect all your cables.
    There will then be cables from your tuner box to the panel to carry the video and audio signals.

3. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, thanks for the advice, not sure how I managed to post this twice, oops.

At the moment I have narrowed it down to two choices of plasma, either the Panny PW6 OR the Pioneer 434 (Pioneer is the favourite but the most expensive), I'm not completely sure about connectivity, but if I got the Panny I would get a Quintro for the connections, but presumably I would still need the component lead connected directly to the back of the plasma, not sure if that's the same for the Pioneer. I can get a component cable that is long enough to connect either to a tuner/quinto box or the plasma itelf as they will be right next to each other, so that's not really a problem.

Thanks again for the help.

4. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another probably silly question. In order to get sound (I won't be having any speakers on the plasma) what leads do I need, will there be an audio lead connected to the back of the plasma going to my processor or do component cables carry sound as well as picture?

5. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    The 434 has a Media Receiver which is basically a tuner box and all connections are made to that - audio and video.
    Don't know about the Panny.

If you won't be using speakers on your plasma then you will need to utilise your amp.
    All your source components (DVD, Sky, CD, etc.) will therefore require an appropriate audio interconnect to the amp (phono, optical, co-ax, etc.)
    Component cables do not carry audio.

In your case, an example set up would be:

DVD to 434 Media Receiver: component cable (video)
    DVD to amp: co-ax cable (audio)

6. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks very much you don't know how much that has helped me. I'll have my dvd recorder/sky box and tuner box near the tv/plasma, but not near the amp/processor, so I'm going to need some extra long audio interconnects that will need to go underneath the floor, more cables, great!!

7. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    The standard cable on the 434 media receiver is 3m so you have the option of siting all of your equipment away from the screen and possibly closer to the amp.

8. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    unfortuntely my lounge and the cabinets I have, don't give me that option, but once it's done I won't need to buy anything else.

Thanks again, it's really appreciated.

9. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Tracey, check your PM's.