• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Best connection for Panny

Grumpy Boy

Hi Guys,

I have searched forums and found nothing for my TV.

Anyway, I have a Panny TH37PE30 (non HD) TV. I have just got and xbox 360 and the picture is rubish via the standard composite cable.

I have three options - 1 RGB Scart, 2 Component and 3 VGA connection.

I have read various forums and am leaning to VGA because I can increase resolution like a PC screen.

Any ideas/recomendations?.

Thanks

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
for that tv,just sticking with component,might be the better option,as the max resolution is only 852 x 480 pixels.

Grumpy Boy

Thanks for that. I checked the manual and it says: "The display resolution is a maximum of 640x480 dots when the aspect mode is set to 4:3 and 852x480 dots when the aspect mode is set tp 16:9. If the display resolution exceeds these mazimums, it may not be possible to show fine detail with sufficient clarity".

This backs up what RottenFox said but the manual goes on to show a table which shows "Applicable input signals for PC Input. The signals range from 640x400, 852x480, 800x600, 1024x768 and 1280x1024.

Does this mean it will display these resolutions or will it accept these inputs from a PC and downscale them to 852x480 resolution.

If I go with the component option will I still plug the red/white audio leads into AV4 with the scart adapter block. (I currently have a DVD recorder attached via component and the audio from the DVD goes into the TV in AV4 via a scart lead, so I asume it will work in the same way.

Does anyone know what type of picture quality I will get via component?. Would it upscale to 720p?.

Thanks (again).

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
your pc resolutions will be scaled down,to 852x480 unless you pick the lowest(between 640x480 to 852x480,or 800x600) on your pc.
if you connect with component,you connect the red/green/blue,into the video portion,and the red/white audio portion will have to be connected to a phono-scart lead,into the AV4 scart socket.

in all honesty,you might be just as well,using the official xbox 360 scart lead,as i doubt there would be a massive difference between that and component,at 480p,and what with something else being connected to component,it may be a better option,or you connect the 360 with component,and the dvd recorder,with scart.

also,you wont get any upscaling,at all,as with the tv's resolution being 852x480,as there is nothing to upscale to.

Grumpy Boy

Thanks RottenFox.

VGA is out then!.

So if I went with the RGB Scart option I'm not going to miss much over the component connection?.

I do notice a slight improvement in my DVD picture when it is connected via (expensive) component leads than via the RGB scart (which is a good quality lead as well).

Just to add - would the RGB scart display the 480p picture or is it "progressive" and needs the component?.

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
VGa,and component,might offer a slight improvement,but nothing astounding.
you could always use the xbox vga lead,but again,all your 3 options of connecting will be roughly the same.

Grumpy Boy

I feel a new TV coming on. The missus would kill me - she didn't speak to me for 4 days when I bought the 360!.

I need to make a choice as the composite connect - whether its through the front AV3 red/white/yellow connection or in the back via a scart back is aboslutly pants. Some text on the dashboard is unreadable!.

If you could help me rank the connections I would be most greatful. Would all connections allow the pal60 setting to be used?. Would component give me full 480p - and would vga/rgb scart not?.

Sorry to keep on but I need to get a cable as the picture is depressing me, and I don't want to buy one cable only to find another would be better.

panama

Standard Member
Personally I would go for a component connection over scart.

I have done this for all 3 Panasonic TV's I have (2 LCD and One Plasma) and think the picture is much better, the colours and detail are better IMHO. :smashin:

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
I feel a new TV coming on. The missus would kill me - she didn't speak to me for 4 days when I bought the 360!.

I need to make a choice as the composite connect - whether its through the front AV3 red/white/yellow connection or in the back via a scart back is aboslutly pants. Some text on the dashboard is unreadable!.

If you could help me rank the connections I would be most greatful. Would all connections allow the pal60 setting to be used?. Would component give me full 480p - and would vga/rgb scart not?.

Sorry to keep on but I need to get a cable as the picture is depressing me, and I don't want to buy one cable only to find another would be better.
in order of quality:
HDMI
VGA/DVI
Component
RGB scart
Composite.

the yellow/white/red connection you use,composite,is the worst possible picture,im not surprised you cant read some text.
either go RGB scart,or Component/VGA,those are the best bets.
but with a low resolution,it wont really matter,as some text will always be unreadable,and never the same quality as 720p,or indeed 1080i/1080p.
and i would say,really,if you can get away without going to the expense of buying a new lead,then do so,if you dont plan on changing the tv.
on most higher resolution tv's,component is absolutley fine,and most people are happy with the leads that come with the console.
then again,some tv's are better with some connects,than others.
but,whatever floats your boat,so to speak.

Grumpy Boy

Thanks again RottenFox (and panama).

I think I will get the component lead. If RGB scart is the third best thats out. And the VGA will (I guess) not meet the quality of the component.

Next question - offical component or is there an ixos/qed/monster that is better?.

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
forget the names you mention,like monster,its not worth the money.
the official component lead is fine.
puzzled though,as didnt you get one with your xbox 360.
the lead should have red/green/blue,and also yellow/red/white ends to it.
the component end is the r/g/b,and audio is red/white.

i just thought i would add,that,on some tv's,vga looks better than component,and the same can be said for component on some other tvs.

Grumpy Boy

Sorry for not mentioning it. I bought the new arcade (with Falcon!) from GameStation for £149 (well I paid £130).

I does have HDMI - I don't but the supplied lead is the composite red/white/yellow. The component & Audio lead comes with the Pro.

Official cable it is. Panama recommended the component lead. I will try to borrow someones lead and check out the picture. If its good I will go Component. If its poor (which I doubt) I will go VGA.

Anybody know the policy of returning a cable thats pants?. Could I say "I don't have component on my TV". I assume if the packaging is opened I am commited.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom