Best connection for 36ZP48, SKY, DVD? advice please

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by smashed, Feb 13, 2005.

1. smashed

smashed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    Hi,

Please bear with me, its not short, but Im confused :confused:
    I am asking a couple of questions, that all relate, but all belong in different sections, but am hopeful someone can give me definitive advice :lease:

I have treated myself to a 36ZP48, and have also persuaded my parents to get 1 for downstairs. Therefore, after upgrading from a Goodmans 28 downstairs, and an old but massive ferguson upstairs, Im aware I need to make the most of the quality of the Tosh.

In my room I have,
    36ZP48,
    Pioneer DCS313 DVD system
    Xbox,
    Sony SLV-E720 VCR.

But after checking it out, I have found the best option for the DCS is S-Video.

However, downstairs I bought my parents a Pioneer DV-2750-S, and this does have progressive scan.

They therefore have
    36ZP48,
    Pioneer DV-2750-S
    Sony SLV-E730 VCR
    Panasonic Sky box (not Sky+, but looking to upgrade)

Now,

My parents hardly use their DVD player, so would you recommend that I swap them so that I get progressive scan? The downside is that I would lose the 5.1 that came with the DCS313. But the 36ZP48 has 5.1, so I am unsure whether this sound will be as good as the DCS. Does anybody know?
    If it isnt, should I sacrifice sound or vision?

Cables:

Can someone please explain how to hook all this up?
    Im guessing component video for the prog scan DVD (Whichever room it goes to) but dont know what would be a good quality, but fairly cheap one to purchase.
    I have read that I can get a connection pack for the Xbox, but have seen a few different versions, and dont know which to get. Again, I wouldnt know if the sound should be directed to the DCS313, or the 36zp48 :rolleyes:
    Finally, does Sky lack quality over Sky+ ??
    What sort of connections should I be putting between Sky and the 36ZP48? And again, where can I get good, but affordable cables to do this?

Any help would really be appreciated by both myself and my parents. :)

Rob