1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best config for Seleco 400 with an Iscan

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by AndyFov, Sep 28, 2003.

1. AndyFov

AndyFov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Having now bought a Seleco 400, a 4:3 Owl screen, and an Iscan (three cheers for the AVforums classifieds!) I'm left squinting about the best way to hook it all up.

I don't have the Iscan yet, nor do I have a lead to connect it to the pj, I will eventually be using the RGBHV bnc sockets on the back of the pj though. Having only recently achieved something close to decent convergence and geometry, it's a tad depressing I still have a so much to learn. :confused:

What I want to know is what happens to the internal UPC when an external scaler is used? Should it be on or off, or doesn't it matter? - I'm assuming it should be on and set to progressive, but if truth be told I'm not certain.

I'm also getting increasingly baffled about how the IScan will treat non-anamorphic material. Will I have to switch the squeeze switch every time I watch F1? Or will I change banks on the 400 as I do currently?

At the moment I am watching 4:3 on the whole of the screen, but the difference between the worn an unworn part of the screen is so obvious I'm resigned to setting the screen to a 16:9 drop, and watching 4:3 within that space. Presumably that's the way most of you do things anyway? That's what the pj's previous owner did, and it'll allow me to use pretty much the same part of the raster.

I suppose everything will fall into place once I have the IScan, I would appreciate any pointers though, so save a few hours lost through trial and error.

TIA

Andy

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    You need a good convergence mate ;)

You need to use a 4:3 bank (Normal/Cinema). The line structure will be more visible than with Anamorphic transfers.

The Squeeze function on the iScan pushed the sides of the picture in. It works like a widescreen telly to make a 4:3 picture inside the 16:9 screen area.

Yes, you'll need to switch aspect ratio memory banks but that should be just a simple press of the Aspect Ratio button (the two overlapping boxes) to toggle between the memory banks. If the projector is set up correctly then it will auto detect PAL or NTSC and then only toggle say the PAL banks.

Regards

3. AndyFov

AndyFov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Thanks Chris!

The convergence is pretty damn good, even if I do say so myself. :D I used the finest lines on the Avia disc crosshatch 30ire or whatever they're called.

I used the pattern where the grid also had four right angled corners inset from the outer corners. I assumed these were meant to define the corners of the screen, and everything else was overscan. I think that's blanking off too much off the image though. F1 looked right earlier on, but my Freeview box's captions were only half visible!

The geometry is a bit iffy. For some reason three of the quarters are nice and square, but the other is a bit skew-whiff. I can get close to correcting it with the 2nd phase of the zone controls, but I'm pushing the limits of the setting.

Incidentally, I haven't figured out what the first phase of the zone setting does. It doesn't seem to do a lot to me. :)

So it's pretty much the same as I'm doing now. I was a bit thrown by the 'squeeze' setting on the Iscan, but can I assume that I can leave that alone?

If watching 4:3 inside a 16:9 screen, presumably I'll need to select the SMALL aspect flag in the memory manager, and save a setting for that bank?

I'm still unsure of how to set the UPC in the Seleco, but as there's not too many different options I'm sure I'll fathom it out one way or another. :)

Andy

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    Andy,

Use the anamorphic test pattern. 50 ire circle hatch to do geometry. Set all ZONE controls to 50. Now start from beggining doing geometry only with green gun lit up. Don't forget there are global geometric settings under deflection I think. I'd set everything to mid points nad start from scratch. Go over geometry many times before looking at ZONE

Gordon

5. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Geometry is controlled by the DEFL (deflection) function. You shouldn't need to use the Zone controls if the geometry is set correctly - it will make convergence harder later on.

It shifts an entire corner quadrant up/down/left/right

Small and squeeze do the same thing; but with Squeeze you've got to get out of your chair and flick the button on the iScan.

UPC - leave it on Progressive until you get your iScan, afterthat it won't matter.

Regards

6. AndyFov

AndyFov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I've been round the deflection cycle repeatedly, it's just not possible as far as I can tell to get a perfectly square (ok, rectangular) picture. I'm beginning to suspect that perhaps my ceiling bracket isn't as perfectly parallel to the screen as I thought it was.

The problem I have is either one of the bottom corners can be corrected with the bottom pincushion control, but doing that throws the other out. It's not really a country mile out - it's just enough to irritate me though.

It's certainly a challenging hobby, this. I'm thinking of going back to square one and starting over.

Thanks Chris & Gordon - I'll get there in the end, I'm sure. :)

Andy