Best config for PC -> Loewe Articos with VGA input

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Flip-Oh, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Flip-Oh

Flip-Oh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I got my Loewe Articos 32" widescreen 2 months ago and it's truly an amazing TV. I also got the VGA add-on board to be able to connect an external line doubler (should the default quality be dissatisfying ;-).

However, I just read up on EDTV (480p) and I'm wondering if my computer is able to feed 480p to my TV.

I have a ATI Radeon7500 graphics card with D-SUB and DVI output as well as a S-Video TV-out. Currently, the TV is hooked up through the TV-out with an S-Video cable. I get the best results when I don't use the Radeon's 'Theater Mode', but switch both the monitor and the TV-out to [email protected] (PAL frequency) and switch the DVD/DivX player to fullscreen.

When I use Theater Mode, the TV-out automatically switches to 640x480 or 800x600 and that causes jaggies around edges.

What is the best way for me to connect the computer to the TV and how should I configure the setup? What resolution should I use and do I need powerstrip to tweak anything?

Please excuse if any of the above questions should be basic HTPC knowledge, but I'm quite new to this so I hope someone will be so kind to help me get the most out of my setup ;^)

Greets,
    Jorg

Computer specs:
    AMD 1500+ CPU
    512MB Crucial PC2100 SDRAM
    ATI Radeon 7500 graphics card (DVI/TV-out)
    Philips Seismic Edge 5.1 sound card
    Pioneer 10x40 DVD-ROM
    UIR remote control unit (home-built ;-)

Other equipment:
    Loewe Articos 32" widescreen TV with VGA-module
    Onkyo TX-SV545 Dolby Prologic receiver (DD5.1-ready through multi-channel input, which I'm using with the Seismic Edge's 5.1 analogue output)
    Home-built 5.1 speaker system

2. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi, I'm using a 7500 AIW in my HTPC/server (here) and output 848 x 480 through S-video for 16:9 aspect.

You can use Powerstrip to enable custom resolutions, but my app of preference (having come very much from the "computerphile" side of things, lol) has always been Rage3D Tweak, which you can grab here.

I am not too familiar with EDTV formats, but I presume it requires component interconnectivity. The Radeon 7500 does not support component I/O at all.

pAuL.

P.S. Just a tip if you want to try it - you can get away with disconnecting the fan on a 7500 if it's just for HTPC use. Been running mine with the fan unplugged for about a week continuosly now. I was going to replace the HS/fan combo with a Zalman passive cooler, but now there seems no point. :)

3. Flip-Oh

Flip-Oh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's the info on EDTV:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/consultants_corner.cfm?ci=video_signals

It's nothing more than enabling progressive scan. The Loewe is supposed to be able to do that internally but I'm wondering if hooking the TV up through the VGA module will give me better quality (I read that the VGA signal from a graphics card is always progressive). The VGA module completely bypasses the internal circuitry so all depends on how the graphics card ofmy computer outputs the signal.

4. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I have a Loewe Aconda with a VGA card which I use to use for Home Cinema ( I now use a 9" CRT projector), you can get great results at running at [email protected] Because of the refresh rate its really only good for R1 movies. Miles better than trying to use the svideo input. Start with [email protected], you will need powerstrip for 848x480 and the likes.

Jeff

5. Badger

Badger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Jeff,

What do PAL discs look like when run in this mode (presuming this is possible) ?

Phil

6. Flip-Oh

Flip-Oh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the info! Most of my discs are R1, so that shouldn't be a big problem ;-) I'll hook it up through both the SVideo and the VGA inputs so I'll still be able to watch my R2 discs as well.

I'm using tweaked Radeon drivers from driverheaven.net and if I'm not mistaken, the 848x480 resolution is already included in those ;-) I'm considering dusting off my old Matrox G400 so I'll be able to hook up my 19" monitor at [email protected] on the first VGA output and the TV at [email protected] on the second one. Matrox still rules when it comes to dual-head output ;-)

Now to get a long enough VGA cable... Is there a maximum length to those? I'm going to need one that's about 5 metres long. Will that be a problem?

Greets,
    Jorg

7. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    You can still play R2 movies, its just that 60Hz isn't ideal. It will still be much better than svideo. 5M VGA cables are fine if you get a good one. Gordon can supply.

8. Badger

Badger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the comments so far - very useful :)

As I understand it Loewes can display 848x480 @60Hz (480p ?) so NTSC discs will be fine, but PAL discs would need 848x576 @ 50Hz (576p).

So some conversion is required by the PC for PAL discs (by the DVD player software ?)

a) I assume the 25 fps of PAL discs just duplicates every 5th frame - thereby introducing some "stutter" into Pans ?
    b) The 576 height image will need to be resampled to 480 - possibly introducing artifacting ?
    c) Can the software players play back PAL discs "slower" (eg at 24fps) to avoid the stutter, or is that just trading one stutter for another ?
    d) Are some software players/video cards better at doing the above than others ?

Flip-Oh

Apparently the Q2500 sets (which I think your's will be) support both 480p and 576p via the VGA card - do a search on the TV forum for some more info

Phil