• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Best conduit/ pipe for burying cabling for later swap-out

fez111

Novice Member
Hi All, this is my first time using this forum, apologies if this has been asked before. Please delete if so.

I am just installing a TV and devices with the cables to be buried into a brick wall, with some cables to come out a couple of feet below to the tv for sky/ virgin, etc, and then go behind the wall again to travel down to the basement (Ethernet, sky, etc). I would like to future-proof the set up in case I want to swap cables later.

What would be a good conduit/ pipe to bury into the walls to allow for cable swap-out later? First electrician originally recommended using 40mm flexi hose (fish pond hose type), but then I was told that the connectors would just get stuck on the internal grooves of this anyway. I have since considered using a solid 40mm grey soil pipe. Is there a better pipe to use?

For reference the pipe going up to the wall will probably contain 4/5 HDMIs and an optical to the soundbar, hence I was thinking the 40mm to accommodate these and their connectors.

Thanks in advance.

ufo550

Distinguished Member
The largest electrical smooth bore conduit, easily obtainable is 25mm. Therefore plumbing waste pipe might be your option.

Part A building regs, advises the maximum depth of chases in walls; 1/3 thickness of wall leaf vertically, and 1/6 horizontally.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom