best component switcher?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by richard plumb, Oct 20, 2005.

1. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,057
    OK, choice in this area seems limited. Keene do the Scancom 4x2 component switcher, which looks good and has the bonus of two outputs. I currently use a scancom svideo switcher and am generally happy with it (although its one to hide away in the cupboard)

I've also been recommended the Audio Authority 1154A. This has only one output, but the benefit of optical audio switching. While my receiver has enough inputs, doing it this way would let me keep the cables tidy from each source. Anyone in the UK sell this?

Joytech are doing an update to their switchers which looks nice (AV kit width, silver or black). Has 6 component inputs, 4 optical inputs, 3 ethernet inputs. Only one output.

Any others to consider?

2. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    The Zektor HDS2 is very good. Switches digital audio too. Almost sold mine a while ago ... glad I didn't now :)

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,598
    Hello richard_plumb (spelling :))

The Zektor HDS4 and HDS4.2 are one of the few US manufactured switching products available in the UK/EU with CE marking - as AA don't CE mark you have to do a self import on them.

Both the HDS4 (4:1) and HDS4.2 (4:2) have Five passive analogue channels per input along with a Coaxial and Optical Digital audio channel per Input.

You can mix and match Coaxial and Optical audio sources as all Digital Audio Inputs are presented on both the Coaxial and Optical Outputs.

The HDS4.2 has Twin Video/Audio Outputs - its single source only so both Outputs see the same Input.

The Zektor switchers are a breeze to Integrate with an AV Receiver - you teach them to react to the Input selections you make on your AV Receivers remote (or any remote for that matter).

The HDS4.2 has an optional RS232 interface.

See http://www.zektor.com

Best regards

Joe

PS And they are both 1080P compatible!

4. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,057
    thanks Joe. Looks good. 4.2 is ideal but expensive. Would going for the simpler 4.1 and then running the output through something like the JS component buffer do roughly as good a job?

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,598
    Hello richard_plumb

Its been done and worked well - though keep in mind Output 02 on the Zektor HDS4.2 includes a line driver so if you have long cables going to a Projector (or a Display in a second room) it'll ensure you don't have signal drop off on your long cables.

Best regards

Joe

PS You have a PM!

6. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,047
    The Zektor HDS4.2 is superb, it completely disappears into your system, once set up you ddon't even know it is there.

7. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,057
    cheers.

I must say though the auto switching of the AA-1154a sounds good to me as well. Have skyHD on the lowest input, then I just press the Xbox360 'on' button and it'll switch to it. Switch it off (all doable on the remote) and sky comes back.

Still, I've lived with button switching for ages now, and its mostly just me that uses it so WAF isn't that important (SkyHD via HDMI, then DVD is always input 1 would work well too).

Thanks for the help - need some pondering time with some squared paper and a pencil. Gotta love working out how to rewire your setup!