Quantcast

Best coax for new 4K OLED??

dannyedwards

Standard Member
Does anyone know what the best coax cable is to use for a 4K tv??
I’m currently using ct100 direct from aerial on roof, to a splitter on the side of the house, then straight into the back of my new LG C9.
Only reason I ask is iv noticed I’m missing a few channels, like today I wanted to put on 107 for bbc news and realised it wasn’t there.
Also being a 4K TV I want to make sure I’m getting the best signal possible.
Thanks,
Dan

dots999

Are you sure it is CT100? I didn't think they sold that anymore as it's air spaced core allowed rain to run down the cable and wreck equipment vs the solid foam based cores. If it's legacy CT100 it may have a higher copper content braiding though Vs recent RG6. For shorter runs RG6 is probably fine but really depends on the quality, the main thing is the central wiring is 100% copper and not copper dipped metal. You can get more expensive cables with a higher level of braiding which reduces electrical interference but worth noting that push on heads can be difficult on some of these so you may need a pressure based one (they're not that expensive). The lack of channels may be an indication that the lnb is in trouble or that the dish is misaligned though so try and rule that out if you can.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Location?
Transmitter?

Age of aerial and cable?

CT100 is made currently after a big gap. Toolstation sell it. Bit old air spaced stuff is a liability today.

However, best Freeview or Freesat is 1080 - lotand nowhere near what any 4k TV is capable of displaying.

dannyedwards

Standard Member
Hi guys,
I know it’s ct100 from the splitter as I put it in 1 year ago just after buying and moving into this house.
Aerial on the roof seems to be facing the same way as all others I can see on my road....
Cable run is pretty short, from aerial to splitter (outside) is about 5/6m.
From splitter to tv (inside and my ct100) is about 10m.
I want to replace my 10m at the very least, what coax would be best to use??

And am I right also in thinking I will never get full use of 4K using just coax?? Will I via Netflix benefit from Dolby Vision?? I started watching altered carbon last night and it looked pretty amazing...

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Location?
Transmitter?

This matters for estimating what TV channels are available to you. (107 BBC News HD is carried on a not-universally available multiplex

Cable if Toolstation's CT100 can't be significantly improved on for quality or losses.

Aerial can be perhaps (or not) - depending on what you have at present.

Passive splitter loses 4dB of available signal (over half) and losing that splitter (use a cable joiner in place of it) would perhaps help.
Or replace it with a suitable powered, amplified splitter (mains psu box is kept inside connected to the aerial cable). How much gain is dependent on your Location and Transmitter and the aerial in use.

You are correct that 4k UHD with HDR is most unlikely to ever be available from terrestrial transmitters to your aerial... and not much will be from satellite either.

There is some already available via the internet (inc Netflix) but you do need a fast connection. Internet delivery of TV to the home is pretty much seen as the way forward and traditional broadcasting will slowly die out.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Hi guys,
I know it’s ct100 from the splitter as I put it in 1 year ago just after buying and moving into this house.
Aerial on the roof seems to be facing the same way as all others I can see on my road....
Cable run is pretty short, from aerial to splitter (outside) is about 5/6m.
From splitter to tv (inside and my ct100) is about 10m.
I want to replace my 10m at the very least, what coax would be best to use??

And am I right also in thinking I will never get full use of 4K using just coax?? Will I via Netflix benefit from Dolby Vision?? I started watching altered carbon last night and it looked pretty amazing...

Your C9 has HLG HDR capability

Check out BBC iplayer 4K series

Youtube also has quite a lot of 4K content.

Best streaming paid for source is Amazon Prime which has exact framerate matching.

Netflix can look a little jerky when playing back 24Hz content due to drop frame processing to 60Hx.

If you have a dish the C9 has A freesat+ satellite tuner.