Best Clearance

D

Deleted member 29287

For some time now my AV Kit has sat in a nasty looking MDF cabinet, mainly because i cannot find a stands to support my AMP. The reason for that is that i am not sure what clearance i shoul dhave between the top of the AMP and the bottom of the shelf above it.

My AMP is a Harmon Kardon AVR7300, according to the manual it is 192mm heigh. the total usable space of the shelf it is on is 300mm, gving it a tad over 100mm clearance between the top of the amp and the next shelf.

The AMP runs pretty hot and i am figuring that the more space the better, but i have been looking at High AV 10 from Stands Unique [http://www.standsunique.com/productrange/support/hifi/av10.htm] but at anything from between £470 and £570 i think that it is very expensive.

Can anyone provide give me an idea of what the best gap i should have between amp and shelf in order to give better airflow. I know the cabinet at the moment is enclosed whereas the high AV10 isnt, so would i be right in thinking that the gap could be less?

I'd suggest you just get anything with a gap of around an inch, as long as it's open.
The fact that your present one is enclosed is a killer, IMO.

My Denon is like a toaster when run at very moderate levels, but it's not a concern to me, that's how they are.
My Yam 557 was always cool, but with the puny power, I wouldn't expect anything else :D

Your HK is fairly meaty, so it will probably run hot.
Again, that's the way it is.
Put it in an open stand and all will be fine, IMO :smashin:

really, only 1 inch. wow that is surprising, although if right it will make my life a lot easier, and yes the next unit will be open so will have vetter airfor. the current unit is enclosed on three side, but with no dorr the hot air escapes that way.

Thanks for the advise

Make certain that proper space is provided both
above and below the unit for ventilation. If this
product will be installed in a cabinet or other
enclosed area, make certain that there is sufficient
air movement within the cabinet. Under some circumstances,
a fan may be required.

Pulled from your manual.
A bit vague really, but pretty typical.
I look at it that you only have a very small gap underneath, so shouldn't need a large gap above, as long as the air is free to move, which it would be :smashin:

Agreed, an inch is about right. An open unit will make a lot of difference to the temperature. If you don't have to bother about little fingers Hi Fi is so much easier.....

The more space the better.

I would never put mine on a shelf with only 25mm clearance, even if it was open.

No harm in it whatsover, wouldn't recommend it with valve amps though.

The more space the better.

I would never put mine on a shelf with only 25mm clearance, even if it was open.

Well, the former goes without saying :thumbsup:

The latter, well I was going to go into a big useless rant about valves, but decided against :)

I'll stand by the inch :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom