Best choice for HTPC (plasma or LCD)?

C

Carl Johnson

Hi,
Anyone with experience of HTPC (home theatre pc) please suggest some sets worth looking at between 32" and 42".
Gaming and a silky smooth playback of .avi .mov .mpeg over vga and hdmi/dvi is a must.
Not even sure whether plasma or lcd would be best, both have achilles heels in the form of burn in with plasma or motion blur with LCD.
Thanks.

poggs

Carl Johnson said:
Hi,
Anyone with experience of HTPC (home theatre pc) please suggest some sets worth looking at between 32" and 42".
Gaming and a silky smooth playback of .avi .mov .mpeg over vga and hdmi/dvi is a must.
Not even sure whether plasma or lcd would be best, both have achilles heels in the form of burn in with plasma or motion blur with LCD.
Thanks.
Best choice are the pioneer MXE models. They are the only ones that do native res at 50hz and they are designed as computer monitors. If you are willing to compromise and use say 720p, then most panels will show that, but the same quality issues are applied to HTPC's as to TV plasmas.

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
I run my HTPC via VGA to my Tosh 37WLT58. The onboard graphics card NVidia 6600 locked in at 1360x768 @ 60Hz no adjustments needed. My sons play with TOCA 3 in widescreen and the picture quality is excellent.

J

javaman

HTPC is mostly used for home cinema and therefore plasma offers better movie PQ (black, contrast, faster pixel response, etc.).

dirge

Novice Member
typing this on mine, sat in the closest chair to the set, around 2m away, panny phd8 1024,768 personally im not sure whether resolutions the main issue when using a htpc its the distance your going to be sat away.

i've played eq2 wow albatross18 rome total war watched downloaded content etc and im very happy with the results. the panel will scale most resolutions without issue.

if your sitting on top of the machine and its primary use is a monitor and not a tv grab a large tft with a high resolution. i still use my 22" crt as the bedroom tv.

if i was sat any further the text's difficult to see without setting the font size to large etc.

NonPayingMember

Previously Liam @ Prog AV
Same. I would rather a Panasonic or Fujitsu as being far less likely to burn (if at all). The Pioneers and NECs retain images quite easily (less likely to burn permanently, but on-off retention is so distracting).

With the PC converting to 60Hz I doubt it would be a problem. Could always run 50Hz analogue.

mannyo

Novice Member
I am running my HTPC through HDMI into my LG 42PC1D using [email protected] and the picture is superb. The key thing is to make sure it can do 50hz native res, at 60hz you get some judder on horizontal scrolling.

C

Carl Johnson

mannyo said:
I am running my HTPC through HDMI into my LG 42PC1D using [email protected] and the picture is superb. The key thing is to make sure it can do 50hz native res, at 60hz you get some judder on horizontal scrolling.
My current 42" Tevion plasma suffers from the judders during video playback (when scrolling) from my pc which is very offputting. I did manage to get it to accept 50hz after tweaking the nvidia control panel but its not a native res of the set and although there was marked improvement it was still not 100% smooth. The LG sounds like it needs a closer look, cheers. Another (more expensive) option i've been considering is the Panny PX600, but there again I dont think it accepts 50hz native and as its primary use is as a HTPC display it may not be the best choice.
Decisions decisions.