• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Best/Cheapest way of playing .ts files from set-top box

glen8

Established Member
Hello,

I have numerous .ts files on DVD+DLs and would like a way of playing them from a set-top device to the TV.

I know the best way is to build an HTPC but it seems a bit daft to me to have a CPU, RAM, HDD etc etc to cope with the overhead of an OS just to play .ts files.

I have looked at the snazio 1350 and kiss DP-600 (heard a rumor of a DP-700 out soon?) but would like to hear from you guys before I buy anything.

I'm not sure what bitrate they are but most are 1920x1080i and around the 6gb mark for a 45min TV show

Thanks!

pointyone

Established Member
over a hard wired network a showcenter 200 using swiss center software is you best and cheapest option

pointyone

Established Member
snazio 1350 then would be your best bet

pointyone

Established Member
does it play .ts files from a DVD-R? If so, I'm on the look out :D

not sure that anything will play ts files from a disc... most of these devices play ts files via streaming from a pc

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
Another option for watching .ts files and playing DVDs is the XBox 360. If you have a Media Center PC it is a great solution for watching and time-shifting Freeview.

If you use the HDTVPump plug in on the Media Center PC it will stream .ts MPEG2 HD files via My Videos as well - though last time I used this method it didn't support FF or REW just skip forward and back.

It isn't as flexible as the dedicated media players with file formats (though real time transcoding is now an option) - but is a very useful media center extender for watching TV, scheduling recordings, watching DVDs, listening to music, watching HD .TS stuff AND playing games.

The latest update also supports streaming video from regular PCs not just MCE machines - but I'm not sure if MPEG2 is supported via this route, or just WMV.

glen8

Established Member
I've already tried the XBOX360 method but it fails miserably.

I streamed a .ts file (renamed to .mpg) and altho the picture works (altho borders either side) the dolby digital AC3 track kept skipping and lost sync. This was with a wired connection not wifi.

The xbox method is just too complicated and troublesome anyway. The fact I have to boot the pc up is hassle alone.

I just want something sat under the TV where I can simply pop a disk in and watch a HD .ts file. I don't want to be messing about with buggy software, codec problems, lost of network, pc errors etc etc

leef1234

Established Member
I dont think any of the solutions are perfect.
I had lots of .ts files too (and other formats).
I've had the snazio, and eventually it did what i wanted.
Now have the xbox, and again it now does what i want.
I've had a few lip sync issues with both devices, had a few lock-ups with the snazio and on some other niggles with the xbox but over all i prefer the xbox, it works for me (most of the time) and its also a pretty decent games machine.

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
I've already tried the XBOX360 method but it fails miserably.

I streamed a .ts file (renamed to .mpg) and altho the picture works (altho borders either side) the dolby digital AC3 track kept skipping and lost sync. This was with a wired connection not wifi.

The xbox method is just too complicated and troublesome anyway. The fact I have to boot the pc up is hassle alone.

I just want something sat under the TV where I can simply pop a disk in and watch a HD .ts file. I don't want to be messing about with buggy software, codec problems, lost of network, pc errors etc etc

XBox 360 was a good solution for me.

1. Were you using HDTVPump on the PC?
2. Were you streaming from HD or DVD-ROM? The latter is unlikely to work as well.

Booting up the PC isn't an issue for me - as I use it for Windows MCE time-shifting - viewing TV via the 360 as well. (I'm not a gamer)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom