Best cheapest 65” oled

jon5jon

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi looking to get a 65” OLED (moving from an LG 55ec930v), want to keep spend down, is there much difference in the performance? What the best cheapest one on the market? I use an Apple TV 4K for streaming so apps on the tv not so much of an issue, also no gaming. Cheers

The best recent deal by far in my opinion was the LG 65CX for £1499. It is not the cheapest 65" OLED available but the best deal as far as I am concerned. For reference this was cheaper than the lower spec BX was being sold for at the time and about £400 cheaper than the comparable sets from Sony (A8) and Panasonic (HZ1000).

That deal has now finished unfortunately, so it might be worth waiting until something like that comes along again. You can currently buy the Panasonic 65HZ980 for £1299 which seems a good deal, although there have been some comments I read on the owners thread regarding motion issues on that set and that it might come with a 50hz panel. I cannot speak for these issues myself though as I do not own it and it does appear to offer very good value for money.

The reality is that the picture quality on all of the OLEDs will be very similar and they will all have some quirks/drawbacks. Taking into account your usage, it might be worth looking into the HZ980 a bit more to see if it would suit.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply, I should also mention I don’t use tv speakers so sound is not important on the tv. I will look into the Panasonic, but the LG was on my list perhaps the BX

HZ980 Panasonic is fine, it doesn't use a 50/60hz panel. Any motion issues will be the same as on all their OLED TVs.

HZ980 Panasonic is fine, it doesn't use a 50/60hz panel. Any motion issues will be the same as on all their OLED TVs.

This is reassuring to hear. I was pretty much all set on the 55HZ980 but after reading some comments on another thread about the panel I discounted it. I will take another look at it for sure and definitely agree that it seems to represent excellent value for money.

In terms of the OP, Costco did have a very good deal on the 65HZ980 the other day which I think was £1299 and included a free sound bar. It has ended but it might be worth keeping an eye on that set on the Costco website in case they run another deal like that? You would get a 90 day return period so any uncertainty about the HZ980 can be mitigated by the excellent CS and returns that Costco offer.

Thanks, yep specs on richer sounds say 100hz. Couple places advertising it at £1297, most others £1599. It might be that or Sony 65XH9505 as the kids watch lots cartoons and films and I have had image retention with the letterbox bars and Apple TV apps (although goes after few power cycles). I note the LG bx only comes with a smart remote, unless they have improved it as I can’t stand the one on my LG never use it! I have noticed motion issues on my OLED, notably judder etc, but I have all the motion options off on the tv. I also have the Apple TV settings to match frame rate etc don’t know if that’s correct. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions

I have left my CX a few times to make tee and when back its been on a screen saver so must be pretty hard to get it.

I mentioned this about the panel in the panasonic hz forum and said its the same frequency as the other panasonic oleds but some people are convinced its a 50/60hz panel. I myself had a LG 930v and went to a panasonic 65inch GZ950 so the HZ980 would be a good choice

I mentioned this about the panel in the panasonic hz forum and said its the same frequency as the other panasonic oleds but some people are convinced its a 50/60hz panel. I myself had a LG 930v and went to a panasonic 65inch GZ950 so the HZ980 would be a good choice
Its because of a mistake on a spec sheet. Its not possible to use a 50/60hz panel. They don't exist in production yet.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom