1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best (cheap) graphics card for SVHS output?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by pwhite8314, Feb 3, 2003.

1. pwhite8314

pwhite8314
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We've got a Panny TX22LT2 in the office which is used for client demos and that kind of thing. Unfortuantly it's not got a VGA input, so the best we can do is s-video. The current card is an el-cheapo AIW card (an old one), but the output isn't very well defined.

I know the output will always be limited by the resolution of the screen, but it is 1024x768, so the picture should be reasonable - at the moment it isn't, with colours looking washed out and any text below about 12 points becoming unreadable.

The inouts are eaither composite, RGB scart or s-video. I'm assuming the latter is the best option from a PC, but tell me if I'm wrong!

Basically I'm looking for the best option to get a half-decent PC picture to the Panny screen, preferably for a lot less than £100. The card will need to be supported by XP, but doesn't need to be special in any other way - the kind of output is PowerPoint and that sort of thing, so processing power doesn't need to be too high.

Any ideas?

2. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    I would just get the cheapest Radeon with TV out you can get. It seems a bit daft not being able to directly match the 1024x768 resolution though.
    You'll only be able to output a really rather crap video resolution which means you can't properly read small type.

You say the output of your AIW isn't very well defined but you may actually find that you can't improve on it.

3. pwhite8314

pwhite8314
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's what I'm afraid of. Annoying thing is that the pre-production version of the screen had a VGA port (as you would expect on a 1024 screen), but the production version had lost it :confused:

4. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    yeah - that's a bit of a pain. I'm not sure I can see a way around it.