Best cheap contract

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by Jazz Monkey Jr, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,632
    My mum has an Ericcson K800i PAYG orange and wants a contract with free minutes/texts around £10-£15/month. She doesn't mind keeping the phone if there are good deals sim only or getting a new phone if it is worth changing the k800i.
    Any good deals out there?

2. NewBeetle

NewBeetle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,414
    Carphone are doing the Nokia 5800 for £15 per month on O2 100 Anytime Mins and Unlimited anytime texts, the only downside is its a 24month contract.

3. WildeKarde

WildeKarde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +922
    O2 offers simplicity sim only deal for £10 or £15 with free minutes - might be worth having a look at them. I don't think they have a contract period

Should also have a quick check on mobilereserve.com and see what deals are going about - seems to be a lot of 18 or 24 months compared to shorter contracts.

4. NewBeetle

NewBeetle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,414
    30 day rolling contract, you just give 30 days notice whenever you wish to cancel.

5. nicch

nicch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Though O2 also have the Simplicity 12 month now, which is a 12 month version that gives you 33% more mins and text than the 30-day one.

However, this all depends on whether the k800i is unlocked. PAYG usually aren't, as a general rule. As most networks now have their own "sim only" deals you could go for the Orange one if your k800i is locked. Of course this depends whether you want to keep the number.

I had a play with the Nokia 5800 today, very nice and seriously contemplating going for one - even if its a 24month contact, its only £15pm and 100mins+unlimited text is enough.

Here's a summary of some of the 30-day plan options:
    O2 simplicity starts at £10 for 150min/300txt, so nice cheap offering (virgin, who use t-mobile network, have a £10 200/200 sim only plan - liberty)
    T-mobile Solo have unlimited texts on all theirs (starting from £15)
    Both T-mobile and O2 have £20 plans that have "unlimited" mobile internet
    Orange Animals start from £15 Dolphin is 200min with unlimited text and Raccoon 300m/100t plus unlimited landline calls). So good offers if either an avid texter or avid talker on land line phones.

(addition)
    If a new phone is needed, one option is to still go sim-only but buy a PAYG phone. This can be the better deal especially if your mother doesn't want the latest phone - there are some nice bargains around, such as the LG cookie for £97 at CPW (so unlocked), as many networks will have 18month contracts at £10 more than the sim-only price if a phone is wanted.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  6. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,632
    Thanks guys, also how easy is it to unlock the k800 from Orange?

7. urban_i

urban_i
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Also looking for a cheap contract, does anyone have experience of the £9/month on Three (18 month contract). They are currently giving away a Ericsson G502.

I know Three used to have a bad reputation, but is it safe to assume they are as good (or should i say as bad :) ) as the other usual networks.

8. 3T3L1

3T3L1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    I think you can get it done on the High St now. Probably cost you a tenner.

Alternatively, if you have paid up a contract on it you may be able to get a free unlock from the network.