Best center speaker to go with B&W 603s

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Matty N, Apr 23, 2001.

1. Matty N

Matty N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't recall that centre speaker but, unless you wangle a deal, you are likely to pay list price for a single speaker from B&W.

I have the LCR6 and this is a lovely centre channel speaker. The one you mention is, I think, quite a tall and bulky model. THe LCR6, while not small, is a much better size and is certainly much closer to B&W's new lineup than any of their other centre speakers if I remember correctly.

2. Matty N

Matty N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BTW, it is also voice-matched to your 603's making it an ideal, economical combination.

Matt

3. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    I currently have a CC6 connected to my A1D and was wandering what the next best speaker to use would be.

Im keen on the B&W CNT model, how much should one set me back ?

4. John G

John G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Matty,I also have the same front speaker combination as yourself and am very pleased with them.I was wondering what you used for your rear speakers.I currently have the B&W 601 S2 but am thinking of upgrading to the B&W DS6 Di-pole speakers.Opinions seem to be divided.Have you any comments ?
    Regards,John G

5. Matty N

Matty N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John,

apologies for a late reply, been busy with work. I also currently use 601's for the rear sides (mounted some 2-3ft above ear level) and some smaller satellite speakers for rear centre duties.

I also considered the DS6 for rear duties but for various reasons I decided against them. Many believe they are very good speakers and who am I to disagree but here were some of my thoughts at the time (quite appart from the fact they need to be clear of ceilings and at least 3 ft in from any wall for the correct effect):
    although THX certified, was designed during the old Dolby Pro Logic (DPL) days. I am assured they sound wonderful, and did consider them long and hard before purchasing but opted against them for the following reasons:

1. They have a +- 3 db frequency response only from 85Hz to 8 kHz. Now, the lower value is fine, you just tell the amp they are 'small' speakers and all the bass is directed to the sub. Previous DPL decoding only really routed 200Hz to 8kHz signals through the rear speakers so this was fine, but Dolby Digital and DTS both use 20 Hz - 20 kHz full range rear speakers, and the new DVDA - who knows! Even though they could reproduce frequencies through to ~12 kHz I deemed them to be not "full range" enough for long term use.

2. As above but they were also £400, compared to newer, cheaper models from other manufacturers

3. Multichannel music is intended to utilise direct radiating or monopole design loudspeakers, hence sound that has bounced off several walls before reaching your ears will have a poor stereo image across the rear channels

4. I can achieve very good diffuse effects using reasonable quality monopole designs, firing off axis, at walls, the ceilings etc.

Hope this helps and I am glad you enjoy your speakers also. What do you think of the 603's for 2 channel music?

Matt

6. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Duncan,

Unless you're lucky, you'll end up paying list for the B&W CDM NT - £400. I have one and it sounds fantastic, but it's voice matched for the NT series speakers, not the ones you are using. Having said that, if you're thinking of an upgrade path, it may be an idea to go with it. It also looks really smart in the Cherry finish, but be warned - it's a pretty big beast and wouldn't look too good sitting on top of a telly.

John, I used to use DS6s and was very happy with their sound in 5.1. They do look a bit overpriced now though and there are probably better ('fullrange') speakers out there. Save more money and get the B&W CDM SNTs instead ;)

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Duncan,

I bought my CDM NT speaker from Practical Hi-Fi in Bolton, and paid £360 for mine instead of £400.

So depending on where you are in the UK, or how far you'd be prepared to travel it could be an option.

It's a much better speaker than the LCR centre. Yeah, it's a bit big and bulky but it will also cope if you ever upgrade your fronts to NT models.

Regards :)

8. Beddie

Beddie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Fellow 603S2 owners:

What sub do you have? After all, these speakers go low anyway, so a sub has to really move some air at the low end for it to be worthwhile. I don't want to spend more than £200, is there anything out there up to the task for that money?