Question Best Ceiling Speakers For Music With Pass/Worth Running 2 Pairs Together?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by xoisthemotive, Dec 14, 2016.

1. xoisthemotive

xoisthemotive
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I wish to have ceiling speakers installed in a room with the sole purpose of playing music. Attached is the layout with the red dots symbolising my speaker placement

I would say for the ceiling speakers I have a budget of ~£550.

From my light research I've stumbled upon the Bose Virtually Invisible 791 speakers and the Yamaha ns-ic800/600. Ive read that ceiling speakers are notoriously known for their low bass but Ive heard review saying the Yamaha ones have decent bass, is this true? I wasn't planning on getting a subwoofer but if its required for good bass then i will have to purchase one.

Does anyone have any recommendations for any other good ceiling speakers i should be looking into? Preferably with good bass

Furthermore as the picture shows I wish to have four of these, would this be wise? I wish to run these on two different channels ( I think thats the terminology) so each one can play different music (but would only use them to play the same sound) would this effect the quality of the speakers?

Thank you

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,496
    In-Ceiling Speakers - are fine for background music but anything else and they are a compromise.

Room - your plan lacks any idea of your seating/dining layout, that detail will potentially guide where best to place speakers.

Different music - is that a requirement?

Source - what are your Sources, what amplification and how do you plan to control the system?

Whole House Audio - what about the rest of the house?

Noise control - if there are living spaces above the Ceiling you need to think about controlling noise at the rear of the In-ceiling speakers and also potentially about installing fire hoods.

Joe

3. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,536
    To add to Joe's answer:

No ceiling speaker has decent bass and there are no exceptions as it is physically impossible to achieve. The usual trick is to add a subwoofer somewhere in the room out of the way.

I would argue with Joe that ceiling speakers are only adequate for background music. Quality ceiling speakers + subwoofer can yield quite decent results.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,496
    Maybe it's just me then :)

I've yet to be enthused by sound coming from above me.

Joe