1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best CD player to partner Pio AX5i

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Matthew J Taylo, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Matthew J Taylo

Matthew J Taylo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've recently purchased a set of Monitor Audio S6's & have been running them in over the last week (I still have another 25 hrs to go!!), after a little messing about with positioning etc.. I've decided to use both bungs in the rear ports.

Whilst I do conceed that I have a small room for these speakers but I've noticed that I'm "missing" some of the mid-range. I have bags of bass (possibly too much) & lot's of treble but I'm struggling to hear the midrange.

The system I'm using consists of a Pioneer Ax5i AV amp (set to direct) & a Denon RDC-02 cd player (connnnected by Merlin Chopin interconnect).

I've read on other posts that the Pioneer amp can be a little bright so I was wondering what other CD players I could look at as when I play the same tracks on my 5 yr old DR600 Marantz cd-r it does sound a little better, I think?

I do listen to some quite challenging music, i.e. Muse

Cheers

2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,080
    What is your price range Matthew?

3. Matthew J Taylo

Matthew J Taylo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies, should of added this.

Anything up to £500 & I don't mind second hand kit if worth the investment & I will notice a sig diff Vs the Rotel

Cheers
    matt

4. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,080
    For £500 I would have thought that there's not much out there brand new that would be significantly better than the Rotel. Hwow about the Arcam CD73T?

If not, then check the classifieds - you should get more bang for your buck!

5. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    It may be worth mentioning that lots of people (me included) find the S6's very bassy. The S8's despite the extra bass driver actually are less bassy, much more controlled. So you are not alone in having to bung your 6's.

As far as the CD player is concerned I can recommend the CD73, very good player, and upgradable later if you wish. If you're willing to go second hand then you may be able to pick up a Roksan Kandy within your budget, more detailed than the Arcam but not to everybody's taste styling wise.

6. Matthew J Taylo

Matthew J Taylo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys,

I did demo the Marantz 7300 & the Arcam 73T with a Pio Ax5i + the Kef Eggs (my old speakers) & the Rotel suited the kefs better IMO.

Now that I have quite bass heavy speakers I'm not sure the rotel is the best parnter, especially considering my marantz dr6000 cr-r sound better, I think.

I'm going to leave it to after Xmas & see if anything comes up in the sales etc..

Cheers
    Matt

7. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,080
    Check out Sevenoaks, who are doing an accessories offer on Arcam, Rotel & Cyrus products in their sale!

8. Matthew J Taylo

Matthew J Taylo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Tejstar - will do

Matt