Best CD player for under £750?

gibbsy

Hi, interesting conversation.
Base on your experience, which player would you suggest for a variety of genres especially rock-metal-electronic (a few vocal-jazz discs).
A new Marantz 6007 or a second hand hybrid player like a Vincent CD S6.

Cheers
Mel
I think the Marantz would suit jazz very well. It will give a very good rendition of instruments. I have recently bought the new SACD of Paul Simon's Still Crazy After All These Years and the title track has a sax solo and although not a frenetic as a jazz rendition is sound so good playing on my Marantz. My Denon player, on the other hand, suits rock much better.

SandyF

So, I ordered the Denon 1600 for £900. It should arrive on Saturday.

If I want to add streaming, I'll get a bluesound 2i or something like that at a later date.

The Denon will make the most of the CDs I already have, with the budget I had.

Thank you for your help.

Now, to start saving for a new amp.

gibbsy

I'm sure you'll not be disappointed.

OstrichAndCobraWine

So, I ordered the Denon 1600 for £900. It should arrive on Saturday.

If I want to add streaming, I'll get a bluesound 2i or something like that at a later date.

The Denon will make the most of the CDs I already have, with the budget I had.

Thank you for your help.

Now, to start saving for a new amp.
Just seen on PFM that someone is selling one of these for a dizzyingly low £550. Only a few months old (Feb 21), mint and boxed. Thought I'd flag it up just in case you might be able to save yourself some ££££......

DIBSTER

Pink Fish Media (PFM) , another hi-fi forum.

BTW a couple of years ago I bought the matching PMA-1600 amp from the same person selling the DCD-1600. Anyone buying from him will have no issues whatsoever, a top bloke who looks after his equipment well. I have no connection whatsoever but thought it worth mentioning.

ps: hope you're strong, the 1600 series weigh a ton.

SandyF

So, the CD player arrived. I plugged it in with the interconnects that came in the box.

Put on Beethoven's 9th. It sounded fine. Nice, clear detailed sound.

Then I cleaned up the very old Chord cables I used with my old player and plugged them in.

The difference was like night and day - both the strings and voices sounded warmer - and the sound much more dynamic.

Sadly, they are starting to fray and will probably need replaced - so I'm probably looking at the chord clearway analogue cables. (My kit is nearly twenty years old, so it has had a good innings).

I'm surprised that the interconnect made such a difference.

DIBSTER

Yep, Pinkfishmedia, as Dibster says. Now down to a ludicrous £450 AND the fella says he will deliver it. Bonkers!
Now that is a good deal. Just see how much they go for 2nd hand on Ebay and should it not be to your tastes then you will make your money back plus quite a bit more quite easily.

gibbsy

Denon DCD 1600 NE new from Hyperfi for £599
Bargain for someone. Honestly don't think any player at that price is going to beat it. But this is even better at almost a grand off. That is one serious player.

DIBSTER

Bargain for someone. Honestly don't think any player at that price is going to beat it. But this is even better at almost a grand off. That is one serious player.

That is a good deal compared to normal RRP. I agree that it is a great player but having said that I did replace mine with an old Rotel RCD-02 which I actually preferred at a fraction of the price.

Everyone to their own.

Sorry, I was referring to the DCD-1600 model rather than the DCD-2500 one.

Ascotbilly

I did replace mine with an old Rotel RCD-02 which I actually preferred at a fraction of the price.
And its still sounding great Dave :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom