• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Best CD player for Rock music and Valve Amp

hendern88

Standard Member
I know this is a very subjective matter but was wondering if anyone has any advice,

I'm looking to spend around £200 prob via ebay and have noted all the comments re Arcam 72s but they seem to say their very smmoth.

I listen to rock music mostly and will be feeding this through a EL34 valve amp and Celestion Impact 40s,

Any comments as to a suitable CD spinner please let me know.

many thanks
Neil.

OneDesi

For £200 I think you'll struggle to find a Musical Fidelity (actually I know someone selling an A3.2 but they want £450 for it) player but I can thoroughly recommend a Rotel RCD-02 much better than Arcam sound - more lively and full!

I think Arcam sound is described as neutral but I find it quite obring!

dingwall

Banned
Not entirely sure what sound qualities you want (not smooth, but for a valve amp and rock music - isn't entirely clear to me your end objective!)...but:

I've had great success with budget Sony cd players (of circa 2000 though), the Rega Planet (original) and Arcam Alpha 9. Completely blow away the Marantz 63 sig and Arcam 7SE I have also owned which just never cut the mustard when rocking out. Don't go reading up reviews which say those players have limited bass or the such like - all 3 of those pump out basslines with amazing depth, authority and tunefulness, I can assure you!

Your choice of interconnect is just as important as the player itself, though. I can recommend the Cambridge Audio Studio Reference for stupendous value, but it isn't the best made cable in the world...

harv

I'd try a Rega Planet 2k... tight, punchy & dynamic sounding... the only possible negative is thats its a top loader. A Naim 3.5 may do the trick but its a love or hate it kinda of sound. Very Fast very rythmic but not very natural and over full bass not sure if you'd find one for £200 though

drpatterson

If you're interested in an original planet I've got one lying around unused. very nice player that I bought new. PM me if interested.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom