Question Best CD archiving format these days?

geogan

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I think this is the correct forum to ask in...

I have a shelf full of traditional music CDs (for you young uns - these had real uncompressed 16bit 44kHz stereo audio before the music industry started shoveling highly compressed lossy mpeg formats)

I would like to put these away in attic and just play the content from my Windows PC based media server.

Anyway I would like to know what currenty is the best format to rip CDs to these days?

In the old days I would just rip to MP3s, and while that was very efficient in disc space, it was far from lossless quality.

What I want is lossless (or as near as possible), CD quality (16bit 44kHz stereo) and not original 600Mb storage per CD so compressed some way (So not original CD WAV format then).

And also what PC software to do this quickly to many discs?

Thanks

Last edited:
I prefer to rip the cd to flac which is a lossless codec, software I like to use are dbpoweramp cd ripper(not free) or exact audio copy which is free, they both use AccurateRip in verifying ripped tracks against an Internet database

Thanks for that. So can all the modern recievers particularly Marantz 7010 (or 7011 soon) or Arcam AVR550 (two AVRs I have my future eye on) stream these lossless FLAC format files from a server and play them?

Marantz sr7008, sr7009 and av7702 stream flac with no problem I have owned these , so the newer models should do the same, I am sure most gear will stream most audio formats nowadays,
If I am listening to flac I tend to just use my marantz processor but my htpc, amazon fire tv box, sony blu-ray player, android phone and tablet will all play flac and other formats back.

Last edited:
The benefit of flac is that it is lossless so if you need to convert to another format then you are starting from a good position. I have not found much that doesn't play flac files.

For ripping I built a Vortexbox server - really simple and cheap - and fast to rip with good cataloging. about - VortexBox user forum

Another freebie is Media Monkey, this is great for managing your music collection and it also rips cd

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom