Best cartoon/animation you've ever seen?

• Thread starter Deleted member 90731
  • Start date

Deleted member 90731

Reaction score
Can be any genre, as long as its animated.

Speaking of which, I happened to watch a modern Simpsons recently and the shift to computer animation is so noticeable and distracting:

wgkYuv0.gif

This illustrates it well as it shows the corner cutting and complete lack of character in the modern style.

I'll get the ball rolling with:

Came recommend by a friend as I was seeking something interesting and boy did it deliver, the series isn't long but the tale is told in such an artful way. Well worth a peek.

Speaking of which, I happened to watch a modern Simpsons recently and the shift to computer animation is so noticeable and distracting:

This illustrates it well as it shows the corner cutting and complete lack of character in the modern style.
In theory they could do either style really in CGI - they could animate the full movement even with CGI. But also the CGI anim is likely to be more consistent from frame to frame in terms of the objects (eg. position and outline), motion as well as the colouring (whereas the outline keeps changing about in the drawn version even when it's supposed to be stationary/almost stationary).

For me, probably accurately done 3D CGI from films where it's part of a live action film, where it's supposed to be real.

Last edited:
Hmm. Calling something the best is hard as I've many possible candidates for different reasons.

If I had to pick 1 I'd have to say either Steins;Gate or Code Geass.

Edit: I know that's 2. I'm just indecisive.

Are we allowed CGI on live action? If so, then nothing, nothing, beats the first sight of the brachiosaurs in Jurassic Park.

I loved the Hayao Miyazaki films (Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, etc), loved the likes of Akira when I first saw them. As a kid I loved Cities of Gold, Dungeons and Dragons type cartoons.

Pixar came out strong, but I have animated cgi Film fatigue having seen thousands of them as a parent of 3 over the last few years. However, standouts for me were Toy Story, Shrek and more recently Big Hero 6.

Loved South Park and Family Guy in their first few seasons. Futurama too is a great show. Most recently I've enjoyed Ricky and Morty and F is for family.

I couldn't pick a best out of this lot as they are for different audiences at different times of your life.

Madagascar 3: Europe Circus Performance scene.

Madagascar 3: Europe Circus Performance scene.
Great scene...amazing colours, sound etc...although its computer animated, so off topic?

Mine has to be something like the Lion King. Great animation, music and story. There are a few Disney classics worthy of mention though, Snow White etc...

Great scene...amazing colours, sound etc...although its computer animated, so off topic?

Ah right - is it pen and paper only? Then I withdraw my nomination.

Why is it off topic? The title says "Best cartoon/animation you've ever seen". It doesn't say the animation has to be a certain type. It doesn't say CGI or any other type of animation isn't allowed. "/" means "or".

Why is it off topic? The title says "Best cartoon/animation you've ever seen". It doesn't say the animation has to be a certain type. It doesn't say CGI or any other type of animation isn't allowed. "/" means "or".
I assumed it must have been edited/deleted?

I love any Pixar film.

But loving Rick & Morty at the moment. Give it a watch on Netflix if you have it. Very clever on so many levels.

Re reading the op, you may be right. When I 1st read it he criticised computer animation (Simpsons) so I assumed non computer animation was the topic :)

I think we need to call in a referee for a final decision.....

womens-no-rules-referee-costume-alt1.jpg

Ref says anything goes :)

I don't know if it's the right sport but I will take 10 minutes in the sin bin. Heck, 5.

Plague Dogs. The bleakest and most moving animation I have ever seen. Always gets tears from me
" Why do they do it, Snitter? I'm not a bad dog."

Computer generated:
Rango
The Incredibles
Finding Nemo
Monsters v Aliens

Cell:
The Iron Giant
Beauty and the Beast
Song of the Sea
Spirited Away
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm