Best capture/dscaler card by far...

Rob.Screene

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Folks,
I'd like to kick of a new discussion on our options for capture cards for Dscaler viewing/Laserdisc capture in Europe... avs foirum can be US or Japan centric at times.

I have a PCTV Rage and IDS Falcon, here's what I also have read about the later cards becoming available soon...

Anyone know more issues/benefits and particularly european availability/warranties and software support and reliability.

It looks to me like the new conexant cards may be great for Dscaler/s-video/component whereas the holo3dgraph is getting all the excitement because of other added features like Faroudja DCDi and SDI which most of us may not benefit from because we use HTPC software players and Dscaler.

Your comment appreciated.
regards,
Rob.

a) Now:
-------
Pinnacle PCTV Rage £40
+Works with Dscaler 3.nn and 4 today
+btwdm freeware capture drivers can be found.
-Composite input doesn't have a fancy comb filter for laserdisc, so you have to use the Laserdisc comb filter/S-Video.

IDS Falcon £120-150
+Works with Dscaler 3.nn and 4 today
+btwdm freeware capture drivers can be found.
+Cleanest card for Dscaler today.
-Some people get some noise with it, and only 8-bit convertors.
-Composite input doesn't have a fancy comb filter for laserdisc, so you have to use the Laserdisc comb filter/S-Video.
Reference: http://www.video-capture.net/falcon.html

"p(mumble) Falcon" £600
-Unknown chipset.
-No Dscaler?

b) Within a few weeks:
--------------------------
Conexant CX23881/2 based input cards, like MSI tv@nywhere (???) currently out in Japan. - £40-£180

+Will work with Dscaler 4 hopefully quite soon.
+Can include component inputs, but most won't.
+May include TV tuner.
+10-bit convertors and 2d comb filter for composite input.
Reference: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=141074&highlight=conexant+CX2388

c) Soon:
-------
Immersive.com holo3dgraph £500-£800
+Uses new Conexant CX23882 chip; 10-bit convertors and
2d comb filter for composite input.
+Includes component inputs
+Includes SDI digital inputs if you have an SDI output moded DVD player/digbox/TiVo.
+Includes Faroudja Fli2200 de-interlacer, currently a reference quality deinterlacer with DVDi and jaggie removal for TV camera material.
+Will work with Dscaler 4 hopefully quite soon
+Comes with integrated menu or use with Dscaler quite soon.
+May give lowest amount of judder problems.
-Unproven?
-No Dscaler or capture drivers as yet?
-No euro distributor.
Reference: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show...ghlight=conexant+CX23881+CX23882&pagenumber=3

With regards to the immersive card.......

As far as i know, it was developed alongside descaler 4, compatability being one of the major objectives. I am hoping the drivers are albut ready as we speak since beta is going on very very soon. Distributor wise, there are various euro distributors coming, just not a UK one yet. Its abilities are as yet unproven, but give it a couple of months until it has been fully tested then that can be answered!

out of interest, how come you arent in on the early adopter program? It sounds like your kind of thing!

I'll be interested to see the comparison of Faroudja DCDi against descaler, shame i cant tell anyone!

ad

Thanks Buns,
I like to follow the bleeding edge, I don't enjoy finding first release bugs!

Probably the main reason I'm thinking rather than leaping is called Hannah Kate and she's now 12 days old. I've only watched one film in my HT since the week before she was born, so spare time and money to burn is becoming a little rarer now.

Don't get me wrong, I've been trying to get the UIRT2 kit off Luc going with Girder to allow the HTPC to control my Denon amp and lighting using IR sending! I just wouldn't get much pleasure blowing a huge amount on a complex board that may be a little touchy at first.

regards,
Rob.

Yep, this MSI TV@nywhere MS-8876 is a CX23881 based card.
Off the MSI site "Invincible video quality supported by Silicon Tuner & Conexant CX23881/883 audio/video decoder"

I'm sure they all be chipset compatible like the current BT878 cards, etc probably most on the same reference design board.

I'd be happy to use it for just laserdisc capture until Dscaler support arrives. Trouble is, I think I read the current capture drivers are a little immature and only run in Japanese! I did a google search and found a mail-order place in Canada called Evening Sound Stereo selling this for $87(+vat,duty,shipping, etc.) http://www.eveningsound.com/detail.asp?Category=Video&Listing=417

Anyone know of how to get this or any other CX23881/2 based card in the UK?

Rob.

I'm very interested in this thread, I'm looking for a capture/dscaler card in the new future..

I can tell you that any of the GF3/4 VIVO cards I've tried are pants :(

HEADRAT

Rob I have emailed Dabs asking them to try and stock the @nywhere MSI card, lets hope they do it soon!.

Yeah I searched all day and I can't find one stockist with them, I found some sites in Canada but they won't ship to the UK

The best one I've found so far is :-

http://www.knowledgemicro.com/detai...name=MSI-8876_1

they are out of stock but you can put your email address in and they will notify you once back in stock..

One of the top guys at www.hexus.net (UK review site) is going to try and get one from MSI, please see :-

http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7625

I've also asked www.overclockers.co.uk see if they can stock them, please send requests to :-

[email protected]

<update>

After much searching https://www.pchertz.com seem to have them, but I don't seem to be able to get past checkout without it saying something about "no shipping selected" :(

I'm gonna call them later :)

If anybody is interested in one we could share the postage costs ? If you are email me [email protected]
<update>

Cheers

HEADRAT

OK I've got a problem :)

I've got a MSI TV@nywhere and I know its all OK because if I connect the TV-out from my 9700 Pro (PAL_I) to the S-Video-in on my TV@nywher I get a colour desktop

But if I try and get a picture from my TIVO using a SCART to S-Video convert (BELKIN) its in black and white. If I use the composite out on the same adapter I get a color picture but I can't get it to work with S-Video..

Things I know its not :-

1. Not the S-Video cable as I've tried about 3.

2. Not the S-Video in on the TV@nywhere as if I do a straight S-Video to S-Video I get a colour picture.

3. Not the break out box, I've tried two :)

Thanks

HEADRAT

The adaptor : you call it a scart to s-video adaptor: I assume this means its not an rgb to s-video convertor ?

If so its probably fine for pulling composite out of a scart socket but to get s-video you probably need to be outputting s-video from the scart in the first place. This would tally with the black and white picture .

Ideally you want to output RGB from the tivo into an RGB to s-video convertor rather than an adaptor.

I guess you have set the TIVO to output RGB in its set up menu and if it has scart control it's at on?

When you say its not the breakout box as you've used two, do you mean you've had two work with alternate sources or two have never worked in this application?

Gordon

MR D :-Excellent :) where would I get such a lead, Maplins ?

Gordon :- OK tried setting the SCART outs on the TIVO to PAL and to PAL/RGB both produced a black and white picture on the TV@nywhere..

I think both break out boxes are having the same problem, neither of them have produced a colour image..

Cheers

HEADRAT

Nope that looks like another composite to s-video adaptor. What you want ideally is an RGB to s-video convertor not a scart to s-video adaptor or a composite (scart ) to s-video convertor.

try here ( I've had one for over two years and its worked fine)
http://www.rgbtosvideo.com

There are also others available form Keene and lektropacks.

this will give you the best quality short of getting a component convertor and and capable capture card ( mucho dollero) or sdi of course.

Headrat,

Another thing to check is that the TIVO can output S-video, my DVD player can do both RGB and S-video, but you have to select which one you use as the S-video uses some of the same wires in the scart plug as the RGB signal.

Regards, Stratman.

I think I read somwhere that the RGBtosvideo.com convertor may be slightly better, but on their website they are saying a new version2 is on pre-order with no units currently available.

Might be worth the extra £5 and dropping them an email.

The RGB to component convertor may be interesting when component capture cards (holo3dgraph and some ATI thing?) appear.

cheers,
Rob.

Originally posted by HEADRAT

is this the right thing though ??

HEADRAT

If you want s-video out of your tivo or anything else that only has RGB then yes I think its your only choice. Otherwise you will be stuck with composite as your best and only choice. ( although it will be cheaper)

I'd say its worth it. Remember you will need an additional scart lead to connect up to the box and an s-video cable.

I use a scart switchbox to feed different sources to mine : digital terrestrial , PS2 , Xbox.

OK I just ordered from Keene, arrives tomorrow.. :)

The Composite picture I was getting was pretty impressive, but the S-Video is going to be even better..

Apprently the Dscaler support is going to come direct from Conexant its not currently supported..

I will do some captures and post results on my webspace..

Cheers

HEADRAT

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom