1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best capture card & Questions

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by geordie_blerk, Feb 20, 2005.

1. geordie_blerk

geordie_blerk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, just got my hi-def compatible screen and I'm going to build a HTPC to get the best out of it but I'm not sure which is the best video capture card for the kit I have.

The main video sources are my Sky box which I'm currently using RGB Scart and XBox, using RGB Scart or component.

What cards would you recommend? I've been looking at the Hauppage PVR 150/250/500 series but wasn't sure how I can best connect Sky and Xbox at the same time. Perhaps get two cards for each input?

I intend to use a media desktop (haven't decided which one yet - MCE2005 or Snapstream?) and get the output of the Sky box and XBox into the PC then rescale it and output it via DVI to the DVI connection on my screen.

I also want PVR capabilties from the card for the Sky input even when viewing the XBox.

The cost isn't an issue so what would you go for?

Thanks

2. dapex

dapex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    sorry I cant offer any advice, just wondered if you had made a choice yet??

Cheers

3. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want quality then none of the cards you've mentioned will give it to you. They can only capture S-Video or Composite Video.

For RGB/Component Video capture, the Sweetspot from Plugged-In.TV is the cheapest @ about £150. The most desirable, however, is the Holo3DGraph, and, if "cost isn't an issue", then this one's for you.

MCE certified cards (like those you mention) do not (currently) feature RGB capture. MCE is targeted at the mass, ie budget, market only. If you want quality, you're better off with WXPP, USB-UIRT (IR Receiver/Transmitter), Girder, and one of the MCE front-end clones.