1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best capture card for MPEG2?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Gary Lightfoot, Oct 20, 2001.

1. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Hi chaps,

I've been trying to capture some s-video footage from my camcorder using my Voodoo 3500tv video card (my desktop machine, not HTPC).

Trouble is, it lets me capture at half res (328 x 288) fine, with no dropped frames, but as soon as I try 768 x 576 it drops loads of frames, and playback is very odd - on the left two thirs is the captured image, on the right third is what appears to be two frames repeating.

I've tried ULead and Virtual Dub software as well as the Voodoo, but all give identical results. Is this a limitation of the 3500tv hardware?

Would I be better off using a Pinnacle PCTV Rave or something similar?

My PC is WinMe with a 1.2gig Tbird.

TIA

Gary.

2. tronix

tronix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What cam are you using... If it has firewire, you can use a cheapo IEEE1394 interface card and Premiere 6.x. I've used my Sony 120E to do just that. I even took some VHS-C footage and chased it through the 120-E (acts as a compressor, bridge) and got the footage in digital (DV) format on my PC. Editing is a little more painful though...

Best quality and flexibility for analogue signals still seems to be my trusty Pinnacle Sys DC30+ using S-Video and M-Jpeg @ 5:1 (which is similar to MPEG2 compression ratio).

Cheers

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Hi Tronix,

Thanks for the info - I'll look into the Pinnacle range and see what suits...

Cheers.

Gary.