1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Camera to take band shots

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by DaniEvans, Aug 18, 2004.

1. DaniEvans

DaniEvans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, so there might be alot of these sort of threads about - asking for advice on what camera to buy, but please read mine as I've searched and searched on this subject matter for months now and still no closer to finding out what camera would suit me.

I'm basically looking for a good digital camera to take live shots at local bands gigs/concerts. Its low level lighting but I don't want to use flash due to it ruining ambient lighting. I was thinking around thr 4-6 megapixel range of cameras with a budget of around £300-400.

I need to know what camera is worth checking out basically as I've looked at the s7000 and Canon Powershot G5 but its hard to get a feel if they will do what I want.

I was also thinking of some day looking at getting a adapter ring to put filters and fisheye/wide angle lenses, but again its hard to find out information on if I can do that with the cameras I've looked at.

If anyone knows anything, or where to start looking again I would be delighted to heard your advice :)

2. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    If you don't want a flash you'll need something that can do a high ISO figure.

This would then mean a lot of noise so a large sensor will be required - it would sound like you may need to look at a DSLR?

The two camera's you have chosen will only go to ISO 400 which may not be enough, the G5 has the same sized sensor as my A80 and at ISO 400 will be quite noisy.

3. DaniEvans

DaniEvans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The fujifilm F700 has a ISO upto 1600 but thats a lower Megapixel per image and I tried that and results we're disappointing.

The D70 would probably be the only D SLR I could afford and thats quite expensive even being sub £1000.

I was thinking of having something with a good range of shutter speeds and ISO.

Thanks for you help, as you can see its a real case of trying to get a realistic price, as need to budget - so its hard :(

4. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have the canon S1. Below are 2 shots taken with no flash in darkend rooms. It has a 10x zoom you can add a telephoto lens and a wide angle lens. It can be set to manual so you can take shots like the two i took.

It also takes up to an hr's worth of film with sound at 15fps or 1gigs file size whichever comes first. Or you can set it to 30fps at fine mode. It has an image stabilizer which is hard to find at this price range. Its 3.2mp mp has nothing to do with picture quaility you will print 10x8 pics all day with this camera. http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/s1is.html

Drop the shutter to say 1 sec, the stabilzer cuts out a lot of noise its a fantastic feature. it really allows you to take some great shots that many cameras would have trouble with

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      Size:
      48.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      Size:
      47.5 KB
      Views:
  5. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Kenayboy, not really very applicable for a band though is it? You need the high ISO for a quick shutter time otherwise all the band moving will be very blurred.

6. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I'd suggest doing some research - how much band photography are you likely to do?

http://www.betterphoto.com/forms/qnaDetail.asp?threadID=10481&catID=178

The above link shows people suggesting a minimum of 800 - 1600 ISO for this type of photography. The S1 IS (and my Canon A80 for that matter) only go to ISO 400 and would require a shutter time of such a length that would require a tripod (or the image stabilisation feature of the S1 IS) and for the band to stay quite still.

The below link is a full guide for concert photography, a lot doesn't apply but suggestions on ISO speed and lenses does http://www.photo.net/photo/canon/mirarchi/concert/concer_1.htm

I think if you look in my photos at http://community.webshots.com/user/flipper200479
    there are some indoor ISO 400 shots of a show in my Holiday 2004 section (can't check right now as webshots gets blocked by my work firewall) - the results are satisfactory, but required quite a bit of noise reduction and my success rate for non blurry pics was about 1 in 5.

7. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    He's not going to get anything like a D70 or a D100 for £300 to £400 we all know that.

The image stablizers cuts out a lot of blur and noise, the candle light flickers, we cant detect it but a at slow shutter speed like used in candle pic many would have been blurred. Flash on a digital camera would make little impact on a stage with all its lighting anyway. Most digital cams only have a flash range of around 14ft. But you increase the apperture and drop the flash level on the S1, up close in a dark setting you would still get great shots.

8. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    By the way, i have a D100 up for sale on the forum;)

9. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    You should get reasonable stage photos from most digicams as long as it has manual override settings.
    I used to take pics of bands on stage with my old analogue SLR. I just opened the appature as wide as it would go and set the shutter speed to 1/30 or 1/60 second. No flash was used and 90% of my pics were of acceptable to good quality.
    Another tip is to set the cam to manual focus and if at a reasonable distance from the stage set the focus to 'infinity' otherwise the auto focus will be hunting around in the low light and you may even end up focusing on the wrong area of the picture, ie the drum kit at the back of the stage as it could be the largest object and in the centre. Also on manual focus you will normally be able to take the pictures quicker as there is no delay while the camera sets the focus.
    You will need to have a play with the digicam to find the best manual settings as a digital camera does behave slightly differently to a film camera. Have a play and find the best results you can get.

I always find it strange that people taking photos of a stage think they need a flash just because the room is dark. If you think about it you will be aware that there are thousands of watts of lighting on the stage and that is far more than even a proffessional flash gun would output.

Mark.

10. DaniEvans

DaniEvans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the links, I'll start reading through. Live band shots is what I will mostly be using the camera for as a revenue to fund my hobby :)

11. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  12. DaniEvans

DaniEvans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah some one recommended a power shot g5 for gig shots - I'll look into the powershot range I think, cheers

13. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    Just a thought - you could always keep an eye out for a second hand Canon D30 - a boxed one in good nick can be had for under £400 and there are plenty of cheap lenses about that would suit. It would be a more flexible alternative to a G5 or S7000 as you could upgrade lenses when your funds allow and use ISO upto 1600 - and it would probably produce better images if used correctly.

14. DaniEvans

DaniEvans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll check jessops used equipment :)

15. DaniEvans

DaniEvans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone have any tips on where to shop for these? Jessops don't have any used and Ebay aren't too good at the mo

16. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Took the picture last night of the fantastic angie brown. Had to be about 100ft or so away

Attached Files:

17. DaniEvans

DaniEvans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thats pretty good, I like the ambient lighting of performances

18. Mike Hall

Mike Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It might be worth getting a second hand manual slr for 20 quid or so to get used to working with cameras which rely on you to do some of the thinking.

You can load one up with fast film, and get used to hand-holding in low light, working with limited depth of field, and poor lighting, which might be too poor for your camera's automatic exposure to cope with.

When you get your films dev'd up, you can get the images scanned to cd, so it'd be like having a digital camera really.

If you learn the basics before jumping in with quite an expensive digital camera, you'll get better results when you do buy an all singing all dancing drool-inducing sex-on-legs dslr camera.

19. Jayde

Jayde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    check ebay agin
    http://search.ebay.co.uk/canon-d30_...incountryZ3QQsocurrencydisplayZ2QQsonewuserZ1

did you look at Konica Minolta Dimage Z3 :cool:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/minolta_07072004_z3_pr.html

The XR (Extended Recording) Movie function lets users record longer movie clips onto the camera’s SD memory card. With Night Movie, the DiMAGE Z3 can record in extreme low-light conditions thanks to a CCD that’s four times more sensitive than conventional sensors. And to ensure that movies capture only the sounds the user wants, the camera’s Silent 420mm Zoom

sorted eh ! :clap:

20. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Have a look at London Camera Exchange..

http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/