Question Best camera for video on a budget of £350-400?

nufc1892

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to shoot some videos and was wondering what the best option would be to suit my budget? I would likely fund the purchase by selling my Sony RX100 III, so I guess I would have around £350-400 to spend (and wouldn't mind buying used).

I'm flexible on the format; I have been looking at small camcorders, but I also would quite like to take decent stills and have interchangeable lenses, so wouldn't mind a DSLR either.

In terms of video, I know 4K at a decent frame rate would be pushing it a bit, but I would like to have at least 1080p at 60 fps.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I actually had an FZ1000 briefly last year that I bought refurbished from Panasonic for £500, but returned it because I thought the autofocus was far too loud, although I wouldn't need AF now.

I was also looking at the G7, which seems to have similar video spec, an articulated touchscreen, interchangeable lenses and is a far bit lighter. It also seems to go for about the same price (or slightly less) than the FZ1000 (with the 14-42mm kit lens).

The G7 is a superb camera for video.

The GX80 looks really interesting as it is the same as the G7 for video but with the addition of 5 axis image stabilisation (IBIS)- so even prime lenses would be stabilised- really useful. Doesn't have a mic socket though.

The G7's replacement is supposed to be announced this month and may have both IBIS and a mic socket, plus even better quality video recording.

The GX80 does look very nice, but I would require a mic input. If the G7 has a replacement coming out, I might hold off and see if the announcement means prices might drop a little further; I doubt I'd be able to afford to buy whatever replacement model they announce brand new.

I'm also looking at the Sony a6300 as it has a wider sensor and seems to edge out the G7 in most video tests. It's probably too expensive for me, but a certain chain of second hand stores has it listed on their site for a ridiculously low price, so I'm half hoping that one (likely stolen) gets traded in there.

Most Camcorders offer Stills capture, and consumer ones have extensive Zooms - where they fall down is in the interchangeability of the lens . . . but then they are a lot smaller, lighter and work well in Video mode ( Whereas most Still-cameras leave a lot to be desired, except when you are on-set and can hold the scene while you adjust things ).
Another weakness is in low-level light, the full-moon is OK, but don't expect to film stars at dusk.

As you know 4K is the new format, but if you can "Tell the Story" then good HD is still a joy to watch . . . and is easier on the computer-power... when you come to perform the Edits.

You've not said "what" you intend to film . . . . that is usually crucial to Kit-choices. Mic-input and headphone op is reasonably important, too - as you've mentioned...

If your looking at doing video you will certainly want a mic input. You don't want to capture awesome footage, then have poor sound.

G7 is a good shout by damo but doesn't have the 5 axis IBIS, i believe it's only stabilizer is the lens (i believe the 14-42mm kit lens does have a stabilizer), but it does have a mic input.

I guess it depends on what type of filming you will be doing to how much of a factor stabilization is. You can always stabilize in post too.

Don't forget Panasonic are doing a cashback offer on some models (which includes the G7). It was £100, but may be £50 now (you can claim it after 28 days of purchase).

Last edited:
Post Stab is close to mythological, IMHO - you have to zoom-in lots when smoothing hand-held ( But obviously this depends on how steady you are...+the focal length and the image size -and how grainy you think the audience will tolerate ).
Far easier to have it "right" from the start - or trust to some mechanical stab like you sometimes see. Even a tripod can be used walking, if handled carefully . . . but then I do use the BOSS stab system that Sony claims is 13x ( eh?) better than their normal stab. system... in addition.
As a trial I sometimes take a stab shot using the long-zoom,( & moving about)- and then the same image-size without . . . Even on the LCD the difference is . . . . it's just not worth switching it off.

There are ways to overcome mic-input - e.g. for long-leads, you want XLR sockets then you have to go via pro-kit . . . either an Edirol ( Pricey!) or a top-range Zoom recorder. Provided it's Sync'd to the main-footage it should be fine. The Edirol also has 4-channels, so you can record "Audience-ambient" using a v.long lead - This complex set-up is HOWEVER hardly in the realms for consumer stuff. . . .
So, Mark Goodly is right . . . you DO WANT mic input socket ....and Headphone Out, as I've witnessed poor recordings made when the Operator thought the "meters" meant it was OK. (( It wasn't, the quality was close to unusable )).
I distrust any company that offers Cashback - They know that a % of Buyers will forget, get it wrong, lose the receipt . . . . even though that money is theirs, having bought the goods with that Offer..... Me being rather cynical and forgetful.

That free DaVinci software; - you must have a 64-bit OS to run it.

Good Luck.

The G7 doesn't have in body stabilisation at all.

My Lumix G7, body only, cost me £250 brand new, UK model sold by Amazon, not third party. Paid Amazon £450 and I got double cash back from Panasonic of £200 no problem. I even screwed up the serial number and they just asked me to email a scan of the proper one.

A second hand Lumix G6 is a great video cam for 1080p50fps with mic input. In the interest of full disclosure I actually have one spare that I no longer need since I got the G7 :D

As for Davinci Resolve requiring a 64 bit OS: anybody with such an ancient machine that it has a 32bit version of Windows or OSX and only 4gb of RAM seriously needs to upgrade for this type of stuff.

A separate audio recorder, maybe a Zoom H1 or similar, would give you both a mic and headphone jack. You'd then sync your audio in your editing software.

To offer more informed advice I think we need to know what it is you intend to shoot.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom