1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best camera for reeftank photos

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by cmcdade, Nov 3, 2003.

1. cmcdade

cmcdade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am looking to buy a new digital camera for general use and holiday shots etc. However I also want to use it to take photos of fish and corals in my reef aquarium. Obviously features like a good macro mode and autofocus etc. will be required to get extreme closeups of things like individual coral polyps but I would also like a good optical zoom for outdoor shots. I need to be able to focus through water of upto 2 feet in depth.

I am considering the fuji finepix s602 or s5000z but at £400 it is a little bit more than I want to spend and it is a bit bulky for carying around on holiday.

I have heard that some cameras (canon I think) have an optional underwater housing. This would be useful as I sometimes travel to Egypt to do some diving.

Can anyone recommend something else that will fit my needs or is the fuji the way to go, baring in mind that as cameras go I an a novice but willing to learn to get the best out of it.

Thanks,

Cam.

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,606
    You sound like a novice who wants features from a non-novice camera.
    My honest advice would be to try and push your budget up.
    While it's possible to get good cameras for £300, £500 will get you something significantly better able to do what you want.

3. Dave20

Dave20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You can buy underwater housing for the canon ixus400. But it's about £150. The optcal zoom is only x3. In your price range thats all your going to get. The macro mode is very good. You can get the 400 for just under £300